Kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

My 2001 L..ignition switch turned to run & unlock..shifter

Customer Question

My 2001 L-200 steering wheel is locked and we cannot get the ignition switch turned to run & unlock. We've tried jiggling the steering wheel and shifter, but no luck. Any suggestions.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a second key you can try? Instead of wiggleing the steering wheel, try turning it kinda hard one irection, and try to turn the ignition switch, then try turning the wheel the other but make sure to try the key as pressure is apply tothe steering wheel. If the steering wheel lock is in a bind the ignition switch can not turn, and you have to hold the pressure in the opposite direction to get the steering wheel to unlock.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We have tried the second key, and also tried turning each key over in case one one side was worn. Have tried turning it as hard as possible to the left and right and the key still doesn't even move.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
If the steering wheel is not in a bind, then the tumblers have stuck in the ignition switch. Do you have a can of wd40 handy or a can of pb blaster?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Car is being towed home right now. Plan to try the WD-40 as soon as we get it home.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
When you do get it home, just spray a little bit into the key hole, then with a paper clip straightend out, make a very small loop on one end, then yse the paper clip to move in and out of the key hole pushing the tumblers in the lock up as you move in and out of the hole slowly. Then try useing the key slowly in and out about 15-30 times and see if you can get the tumbler to come loose. It only takes one tumbler to stick for the ignirion switch to not unlock when the key is inserted.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
If this does not fix your problem, just come back to this page and we can continue from here till we solve your problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
WD-40 did not resolve the problem. Called a locksmith. She disabled the interlock bar that releases the steering lock when the ignition is turned. Now we can start the car, and drive, but steering wheel does not lock when ignition is turned off. That is an acceptible trade-off for us.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.

it is od for the lock bar to get bent, but if haveing it removed is good enough for you, then you shoudl not have any other trouble with it. I woudl recomend that you lube the ignition switch atleast once a year, as the tumbler sfor this switch are know to stick. If there is any thing more i can do to assist you please do not hesitate to call apon me to help you.