Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Saturn Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Saturn SC2: I have a 2002 Saturn SC2. My door locks are malfunctioning

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Saturn SC2. My door locks are malfunctioning on both the driver and passenger sides. At first, my remote worked to unlock and lock both sides, but my driver's door lock/unlock button did not work (felt like it was misaligned). My passenger door was fine and my passenger button would unlock and lock both doors. Then, my remote stopped working. Then, my car was dead. I replaced the battery, but a few days later my brand new battery was dead.

In the few days I had the new battery, my remote worked again but when I used it, it did not lock or unlock the passenger side - just the driver side. So, at that point, the remote unlocked the driver side, but not the passenger side. The driver side door lock/unlock button is broken so it doesn't do anything. And, the passenger side door lock/unlock button doesn't feel broXXXXX XXXXXke the driver side, but, when I pushed it, nothing happened.

I purchased 2 lock/unlock buttons and 2 door lock motors (one for each side, just in case).

The driver side lock/unlock button is definitely broken. I took off my interior door panel and was able to remove the old one, and I saw the broken plastic piece inside. Now I am looking for the motor so I can replace that, but I do not see it. I can't find anything definitive online, and before I remove the weather shield that is glued on from the inside panel or remove the outside panel, I would like to confirm the door motor is in my door and which side I need to access (inside or outside) to get to it.

Also, if you have a diagram of the door inside that would show me exactly where the part is, or a wiring diagram so I could follow the wires that go into it to see exactly where the door motor is, that would be great. Thanks!
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Saturn problem.

The door lock actuator (motor) is built onto the latch at the rear of the door. With the door panel off, remove the three bolts at the rear edge of the door to remove the latch.

graphic

Service manual instructions also call for removal of the window glass to access this part. Let me know if you need additional assistance.
Dave Nova, Saturn Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks :) Does it sound like I am replacing the correct parts for my problem? Also, is the the outer or inner panel that you are referencing? Finally, do you have a link to the pdf of the service manual that you mentioned? thanks!
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
It does sound like the drivers side switch and passenger side actuator need to be replaced. The instructions called for the inner panel to be removed. I do not have a link to the pdf of the service manual, but I can provide you with individual steps and diagrams if you tell me which procedures you neeed information on.
Dave Nova, Saturn Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that's great, thank you! THe inner panel is off, so I am good there. I would need anything you have for removing and installing the actuator (and anything else I have to remove/replace to do this such as the window glass you mentioned).

I have never done anything like this before. I am a do-it-yourselfer at home, so figured i would give this a shot. I have done my car stereo and speakers, but nothing in my car beyond that. So, if there is anything else you think I should know, please feel free to mention :)

Also, I will have to remove the inner weather shielding to see the actuator. What should I reattach the part I have to remove with? Thanks!
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Be right back with that info for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
k, thanks!
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Window glass removal

2. Remove the speaker.
3. Partially remove the water deflector to access the openings in the door structure

graphic

Lower the window to access the window insulator (slide clip) retention tabs.

graphic

Disengage the front slide clip from the sash by depressing the retention tab and sliding the sash (1) forward. Repeat for rear window insulator (slide clip) (2).

graphic
When the window is disconnected, rotate forward and remove from the door.

graphic

Dave Nova, Saturn Technician
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Remove Belt Seal

Pull up on weatherstrip at base of window opening to remove. (rear sedan door shown in picture below, removal on coupe the same)

graphic

Remove Weatherstrip from Glass Run Channel

graphic

Remove Window Guide (run channel)

Remove the 3 nuts securing the outside rear view mirror, then remove bolts securing the window run channel. The picture shows exterior panel removed for location purposes only, no need to remove the exterior door panel.

graphic

Once the run channel is out of the way, the door latch can be removed (3 bolts on back edge of door) Unclip the rods going to the door latch and disconnect electrical connectors. The actuator is held to the latch with small Torx screws (T10). Sorry, no picture of the actuator removed from the latch.

graphic
Dave Nova, Saturn Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you so much for the info. i managed to find the workshop service manual online, although you are much more helpful than it is. are the graphics you are sending me from the manual? If so, what section, because I can't seem to find them (manual download has over a thousand separate files and no detailed index)
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
The images are not from the online workshop manual. You can get the same images if you subscribe to Alldata. Check out Alldatadiy.com.
Dave Nova, Saturn Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
awesome, figure good to know for future reference or if I get stuck along the way with something else, lol. Thank you so much for you help!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I subscribed to the diy site - it's great, thanks! One thing it was a little confusing with - the water deflector. It says to remove it, to tear along the perforation. I would like to tear as little as possible. Which area on the door should I be removing and is this how I should do it? Does this mean I will need to purchase a new one or will I be able to re-attach the old one? How should I reattach the old? Thanks!
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
You can either remove the entire water deflector and then reattach, or you can tear at the perforations. If you tear the water deflector, it can be hard to tape back together due to the material it is made of. A good vinyl tape usually works best. You can either tape the deflector back to the door, or you can use an adhesive. Butyl rubber works well, you can get this at a hardware store or glass shop. You could also use RTV silicone if you'd like. Let it set up a bit before installing the door panel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks!
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome.