FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

Saturn Outlook XR: What is cost to repair power steering pump

What is cost to repair power steering pump on 2008 Saturn Outlook?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.

FIXITMAN :

Hello JACUSTOMER, are you sure that the vehicle is equipped with a power steering pump and not electric assist steering?

Customer:

Not 100% sure. Based on my internet reading the noise my car makes is identical to those folks who needed pumps replaced.

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
Can you give me a description of the noise and when it makes the noise?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The noise is a low drone or whine noticable at lower speeds around town after the car has warmed up. When parked with the engine running, the noise rises and declines as you turn the steering wheel. The noise is not as noticeable in cold weather or at higher speeds such as interstate driving. This problem appears quite common based the posts I have read on the internet by owners of Outlooks, Acadia, etc. Was hoping you might recognize the issue as being a common problem.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
Okay. This vehicle has more problems with the exhaust causing this noise than the power steering system. You need to have the catalytic converter checked to see if it is failing internally.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay. So you are recommending I get a professional diagnostic done specifically on the catalytic converter. Do you suggest using a trained GM mechanic or could I use a local independent mechanic?