George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years

1998 saturn: Checked under hood..sure slave..topped..clutch pedal

Customer Question

I just replaced the clutch in my 1998 Saturn SC1, When I went to use it, there was no pedal pressure. Checked under hood, to make sure slave was properly seated, that was okay, checked level of fluid, that was a little low, about 2/3 full, so I topped it off. Went in, depressed clutch pedal, it was as hard as a rock, would not depress. Checked slave again, only to lose the actuating rod in the clutch housing. Got the rod back, put it in place, and still didn't seem to have a good pedal..read about some measurement for pedal and fork travel. If the measurement were the right one for my car, I'm okay. No signs of leaks in the hydraulic system, so, now what else can it be...One question is, what is causing the clutch to engage as soon as the pedal is released from the floor? (about 1/4" travel before it engages), then, can the slave system be bad even if there are no leaks?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

With the push rod coming out of the slave and you pressing on the pedal the slave could have been damaged but try this first.

Put the push rod to the slave and slowly push it in the full length of its travel with the reservoir cap off. If you still have any of the nylon clip it into the holder to keep the rod in and install the slave (1/4 turn and install the nuts to the keeper.

Now put the cap on the master and slowly pump the pedal five times.

Let me know if you have a pedal or leakage tat the slave after that.

If you opened the slave/master you will need a vacuum bleeder or replace the master slave assembly with a pre bled unit as it is almost impossible to bleed this system on the car.

Let me know what happens and how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

George,

What did you mean by this phrase from above: If you still have any of the nylon clip it into the holder to keep the rod in and install the slave There was no nylon clip. Also, I didn't push on the pedal with the slave off the clutch housing.

When I removed the cap to the master cycl, and pushed on the rod, the fluid level rose in the reservoir. I then put the cap back on and pressed the pedal 5 times, its still like I'm not doing anything, almost no resistance on the pedal.

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

The slave cylinder comes with a nylon harness on the tip that attaches the rod to the cylinder and breaks when you step on the clutch the first time. Often one of the legs will still be usable.

You won't feel anything til you use the clutch a few times,

If you are in a safe area press the clutch to the floor five times and hold it there. Shift to neutral if you are not already there and start the engine. Keep the pedal down and shift into gear.

No grinding?

Good now let the clutch out and drive around the block a few times using the clutch to shift up and down the gears. It will feel normal the first or second time around.

Let me know what happens, you will not feel anything with a new clutch for a number of times using it as all the parts slide on the grease.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

George,

I'll give it a go. It will be a little while before i can respond so please be patient with me.

thanks,

dano

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

OK, I am here all evening so work at your own pace and let me know what I can do to help

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well George,

I didn't make it out of the driveway, it wouldn't let me even shift from 1st. to 2nd. Pedal still really, really loose until it gets to the point near the floor where it disengages the clutch. and then it still does not let me shift...while its running. I'm thinkin the slave may not be doing its job to the fullest. What say you?

dano

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

If you can only shift when it is on the floor you have air in the hydraulic system. The only real way to remedy this is to replace with a prebled set. You may have sucked a little in when you were working to get the rod back in place.

How was the clutch before you replaced it? Did you surface the flywheel?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yeah, had the flywheel turned, took of 25 and put a 25 spacer back in. The kid fried the clutch out of it, it was in pieces (the clutch) when I tried to drive it.

From what I remember when, driving it before he took it over, the pedal was a quite a bit stiffer than it is now, and clutch would engage further from the floor. I think I'm going to drag it up to a guy that I know that is a mechanic at a garage. I can't keep on doing this internet thing...thanks for trying.

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

OK, at least you have the flywheel back where it needs to be.

These typically feel like you are pressing a pedal full of air for the first few applications but the clutch will release in the proper place. If you have to be down to the floor you have air in the system.

If you have a vacuum setup you can try pulling a vacuum on the reservoir and pumping the pedal slowly by hand a dozen times and try to get the air up to the reservoir but if that fails a new pre bled setup is about $145 at the parts store. They sell the master and slave individually but I have never met anyone that has installed them successfully.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thats not really the answer I wanted to hear...lol. Yeah, as far as the air in line goes. I remember them days when I was turnin wrenches at the garage. I too have not heard of a successful installation of just the slave or the cylinder.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

I don't know if you have a Mityvac but most of the kits come with a flat adapter that fits the top of the master reservoir. It is worth a try to put some vacuum on it and push the pedal up and down by hand.

Stupid question but I have to ask, you do have the slave fully into the bellhousing and the nuts to hold the dampener in place?

Let me know what I can do to help

Thanks