Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

my driveway..loud clunking noise under the car..drivers side..tire

Customer Question

pulled into my driveway a couple of nights ago and started hearing a loud clunking noise under the car on the driver's side. Looked underneath - nothing dragging. Checked again today in the daylight - still nothing dragging but a bar that runs from just in front of the back tire to a sorta squatty round rectangle connected to the wheel(?) is separated from the squatty rectangle at the rectangle - is that what's making the noise - what is it? Can I drive the car to a repair shop?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Ok, this is going to be one of the lateral links. It is safe to drive a few miles at lower speeds(no more than 45mph) to a shop to have it repaired.

If the lateral link needs to be replaced, parts and labor will run about $275. If just the bolt broke, then about $90 to repair, and if the bushing for it came out, then about $175 parts and labor.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks - not interested in accepting
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

so you just wanted the answer with no intention of paying. glad to have spent my time looking up labor rates and prices for you have a good weekend.