john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech 15 + years foreign domestic & european

Saturn Vue: I put a new ecm..my 05..it wont start..car doesnt

Customer Question

I put a new ECM into my 05 Saturn Vue because it won't start. I read that you need to do a new "relearn procedure" to reset the computer, but my car doesn't even flash the passlock light to show there is a security problem. I thought this would definitely happen.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 2 years ago.
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. did you have the ecm flashed?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it was not flashed. I'm not sure what that means. It is a replacement from a salvaged car...not a brand new ECM if that makes a difference.
it needs to be programmed by a dealer with a scan tool that flashes...the computer needs to be programmed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was told you can put one in from a different Vue of the same year and configuration, you just need to do the relearn procedure as described here:

30 Minute Learn Procedure:

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes, the vehicle is now ready to relearn the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important

The vehicle learns the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password XX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password.
7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

not true..it needs to be flashed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have the service guide page and it says this:

Learn Procedures
There are two available methods to perform the programming procedure:

A 10 minutes procedure which requires a Tech 2 and a techline terminal.
A 30 minutes procedure which does not require the use of any tools.

So one method doesn't require the dealer tool. I have talked to several people who were able to install an ECM/PCM from a different vehicle without having the dealer involved.

If a new ECM is being installed, it must be reprogrammed with new software and calibrations. Refer to Service Stall System (SSS) User Guide for reprogramming procedures. The ECM may be damaged if the reprogramming process is interrupted. Make sure the scan tool is connected securely to the DLC and the vehicle battery has sufficient charge
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks, but I don't think this information is for a replacement from another vehicle.
its not... its for the vue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes but the information about the learn procedure I posted above is from a vue service manual page. That a 30 minute relearn procedure is all that is required.

it needs to be programmed trust me ive been doing saturns since 1992
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yikes, taking it to the dealer is what I'm trying to avoid by talking to you...lol.
should be a 1 hour charge for a flash.... usually under 100 dollars