Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  15 years Saturn Technician experience.
14928985

2004 saturn vue: has a gas leak at the secondary fuel pump..module

Hi, my friends 2004 saturn vue has a gas leak at the secondary fuel pump. the mechanic said that the whole module had to be replaced and that it would cost about 700 dollars just for the part alone plus 425 for labor. I know thats a high price so i have been trying to get cost down by searching for the part myself. I see all kinds of prices for a fuel pump for her model and they range from 90-900 dollars. I dont know if it needs a fuel sensor, or the whole kit or what. they all look alike in the pictures so what is the differance? the car is a 6 cylinder 3.5 engine. thank you in advance.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

It can be the fitting on the pump housing itself that can crack or break and cause this leak.In this case the pump and not the sender needs replaced.

The new pump will include the sender assembly.The sender itself is just the float gage that attach's to the pump so the pump is the fault that needs replaced an not just the sender.

The cost I show for a factory pump for the secondary pump on this vehicle is about $330 but this price can vary depending on your location and shop pricing,Labor to replace this pump is about 3 hours charge.So whatever the shops rate is per hour multiply that by 3 and then they may add in tax and hazard waste cost as well.

You can go with an after market secondary pump assembly as it may be cheaper.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is an after market pump assembly? and why are some pumps [new] only 80 dollars. also is there anything else i need to know about replacing the pump because the mechanic did say this model of saturn was paticularly difficult to work on.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
After market pump is a pump that can be purchased at an after market parts store and not a dealer or a pump that can be purchased on line and not a dealer.

Some will be cheaper then others because they are built cheaper,generally they don't last as long as a more expensive pump that would be built with quality parts.

As for replacing this pump the exhaust and drive line has to be removed if this is an all wheel drive vehicle then the fuel tank has to be drained of fuel and then removed from the vehicle so the pump can be accessed and replaced.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
o.k. last question...could the tiny gas leak that started all this, have been sealed in any way even just until the repair could be made? and thanks..you've been great!
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
It is difficult to seal a gas leak as the fuel will pretty much eat through most sealers but it is possible as I have seen a few times before but usually doesn't hold up for more then a few days until it starts to leak again.

You can tell if it has been sealed up by looking at the location of the leak for any traces of a glue or a sealant.

I don't recommend sealing any fuel leaks temporarily as it usually doesn't hold up and a fuel leak can eventually sometimes lead to a fire.

Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience: 15 years Saturn Technician experience.