Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Saturn ION: Today I found the engine revving high in park & idle.

I have a Saturn ION 2003. Today I found the engine revving high in park & idle. It seemed to drop to a lower level when in drive but still seemed a little high. Car feels like it wants to accelerate on its own and I have to hit the brakes alot. Engine light also came on. Any ideas? Is it safe to drive to repair shop (Approx 10 miles away)?
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. This is usually caused by a failed idle air control valve, they stick open causing a high idle. You can have diagnostic codes checked for free at your local parts store and if it indicates problem with idle air control valve then replace....If it says something else they might be able to tell you problem or you can write down code and reply back to this answer at any time. Thanks.