Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

99 saturn: has a battery drain..jump start it every am.

Customer Question

my 99 saturn sl2 has a battery drain that no one can identify. I have to jump start it every am. any suggestions?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is Dan and I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. You will need to remove each fuse one at a time while using a voltmeter to monitor the amount of amperage going across each fuse with engine off. Whatever one has the largest amount of amperage is causing the batttery drain. Once you have it narrowed down to what fuse is causing drain you can reply to this answer at any time. Then I can tell you whats controlled by that fuse so you can disconnect each component one at a time to see which one stops amperage draw.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for your help. My mechanic said he tested the fuses with the voltmeter and none of them draw more amperage than the others. Does that sound possible, and if so, what next? Do you know anything about a wire in the back of the engine compartment that is connected to what some call the canister purge solenoid? Some people on the automobile forum claim that cleaning any spilled oil out of it has solved the problem?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ya, that doesnt really make sense...Because everything is controlled by a fuse...So if all fuses are removed then there is nothing that can cause battery to drain...Possibly the alternator...Disconnect alternator and see if drain stops if so replace.