Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.

saturn l300: timing belt..3.0l..didnt notice which timing marks

Customer Question

I have just replaced the timing belt on my saturn LW300 3.0l. I have done this two years ago and was successful. This time I got ahead of myself and didn't notice which timing marks were lined up. There are two marks on each cam gear. Can you tell me which ones I need to line up with the timing marks on the cover? Thank you , Troy
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.
Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

Heres where the marks have to be with the #1 cylinder all the way up.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I already have this information. But there are two marks on each cam shaft. Which ones do I align with the marks on the cover? I took the intake off and # XXXXX spark plug out. Established when the intake and exhaust opened by putting air into the cylinder. The different marks are also numbered on the inside of the cam gears. Cams 1 & 2 used the same gear and are marked 1 and 2 at the different notches on the cam gear. 3 & 4 are are similarly marked with the #s 3 & 4. You have to align the marks for cam 1 with the notch marked 1. Cam two is aligned with the notch marked 2. 3 and 4 are the same. Since I figured this out on my own I do not expect to be billed for my question. Thank you, Troy