Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Saturn SL2 2001 sl2 cooling fan doesnt come on. Have replaced

2001 sl2 cooling fan doesn't come on. Have replaced coolent temp. sensor. Hard wired cooling fan to check if it works,it does run. Pulled fan relay replaced with new. With relay out jumped started from relay base plate, fan came on. A/C does work but when you stop moving starts to blow warm air. Replaced pressure switch in the line on A/C line. I am completely stumped. Can you be of some assitance?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

At the cooling fan relay two terminals should have voltage....then if you jump terminal 30 to 87 this shoudl cause fans to come on....If so check to see if dark green wire between relay and pcm is broken....If not replace pcm. Fan should come on with coolant temp sensor disconencted.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know what an ECM is but what is a PCM?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
They are the same thing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Have power on terminal 87 and 30 fan doesn't come on but 87 to 86 fan comes on
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Then disconnect pcm and pcm and ground dark green wire from relay to see if it comes on....If so thsi verifies wiring is good and ecm/pcm will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How can the ECM be bad if every thing else works fine?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Because its not processing the request of the cooling fan....usually when the ecm fails its just one function on it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you I will try that next weekend. Are you going to be available for more assistants then?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Yep, just let me know.....You can get a used ecm from or local salvage yard to save money.