Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

2003 Saturn Vue: Replaced battery &..idles @ 750 rpm & stalls

2003 Saturn Vue. Replaced battery & now have erratic idle. Idles @ 750 rpm & stalls out if a/c turned on. Has my ICM gone out? Did I mess something up when I took the battery out?

Try the procedure below and see if it helps. If not, it will need to be connected to a factory level scan tool to determine if the Idle control unit has failed.

graphic

If you have further questions feel free to reply. Please remember we use an honor system and you have to click on accept so i receive credit for assisting you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Idle better. When starting warm engine, idle will fall below 500 then surge & hunt until throttle blipped & will eventually settle in @ 750 rpm. Still cannot turn on A/C w/o stall. Computer does not appear to compensate for the added drag of the A/C compressor like it did before the battery was replaced.

I suspect an issue with the idle stepper motor in the throttle body. It is controlled by the ECM (computer) which tells it various conditions like when the AC is on, when its in park, drive. to name a few..These circuits are very sensitive and if the relearn helped but still not working properly it will need to have what is called "Flash programming" which will reset all the parameters back to factory settings. We come across this often on these vehicles and a simple flash by the dealer will fix it up....it may even on it's own after it goes through a few drive cycles, but if it's too annoying it will require a trip to the dealer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Since there are no more Saturn Dealerships in the Nashville area, will any Chevy dealer be able to do the flash?

Yes they will be able to take care of it for you.

Best wishes my friend!