15yearsaturnguy
15yearsaturnguy, Saturn master tech
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, 15 years with Saturn
26401883

Saturn ION-2 How do I install the tension rod/trunk spring

Customer Question

How do I install the tension rod/trunk spring in an 03 Ion? One of the rods broke, so i bought a replacement, but it looks a little tricky snapping it into place. Any suggestions? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Saturn
Expert:  15yearsaturnguy replied 3 years ago.

15yearsaturnguy :

Hello and thank you for your post. I am a master certified GM tech, with 15 years Saturn experience,and can help you to resolve your issue.

15yearsaturnguy :

these are very hard to install and require 2 people and a LOT of patience.

15yearsaturnguy :

I will give you the info below but the specifics that you cannot get from the info you will have to try and see for yourself.

15yearsaturnguy :

it may take a few times until you get it right but keep trying.

15yearsaturnguy :

Caution: When a hood hold open device is being removed or installed, provide alternate support to avoid the possibility of damage to the vehicle or personal injury.

Prop the compartment lid in the full-open position.
Notice: Use a Snapon™ large square flat screwdriver #SSD412A or equivalent in order to remove the torque rods from the adjusting notch. Wrap the tip of the screwdriver with tape to prevent scratching the spaceframe.

Position the screwdriver between the torque rod ends.
Lift up the screwdriver to release the torque rods from the adjusting notch.

15yearsaturnguy :

Full Size Image

15yearsaturnguy :

Remove the torque rod from the rear compartment lid hinge.
Installation Procedure

15yearsaturnguy :

Full Size Image

15yearsaturnguy :

install the torque rod to the rear compartment lid hinge.

15yearsaturnguy :

Full Size Image

15yearsaturnguy :

Use a Snapon™ large square flat screwdriver #SSD412A or equivalent in order to engage the torque rod to the adjusting notch.
• For rear compartment lids with spoilers, use the lower adjusting notch.
• For rear compartment lids without spoilers, use the middle adjusting notch.
Open and close the rear compartment lid several times to ensure that the torque rods are properly seated.

15yearsaturnguy :

Full Size Image

15yearsaturnguy :

hope this helps

Customer :

Thanks for responding. The real problem I'm having is that I can't get the rod to hook under the hinged catch that pivots on the hinge. Since the other rod is still in place, I can see where the new rod is supposed to go, but there is no way I can get the rod into the hook. Can you give me any more details?

Customer :

Thanks

15yearsaturnguy :

thats abut all I can tell you. It is a trial and error procedure that takes a hands on approach to figure out

15yearsaturnguy :

you may have to remove the rod currently installed to get the other one in

Customer :

I'm sorry, but your suggestions didn't really help. I was never able to install the tension rod. I'm going to have to take it to the GM dealership and have them do it. If you have any better ideas, please let me know. Thank you for your time.

15yearsaturnguy :

this is just a bear of a job for anyone. I really can only give you the info I gave you.

15yearsaturnguy :

no problem. if I didn't help you, just do not hit teh accept button.

15yearsaturnguy :

have a great day and good luck