Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2009 Saturn: it was scanned and was coded for a P0496

My wife owns a 2009 Saturn Outlook XR...Engine light is on and it was scanned and was coded for a P0496. What is this and how to replace whatever it is. What is the usual cost for the part. Vehicle cannot get a brake tag for this engine light being on.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with.

This code is an evap code. The description is "Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) System Flow During Non-Purge". Basically, what this means is the computer is seeing the evap system purging when it is not commanded on. The purge valve is in charge of this. Chances are you just have a purge valve.. but sometimes the fuel tank pressure sensor goes bad too causing this problem. It will go bad and send false readings back to the computer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I replace the purge valve or is something I can do myself. Where is the purge valve located? Where is the fuel tank pressure sensor located and is this something I can do myself or do I need to take it to a auto repair shop.

Thanks

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
The purge valve is located on the intake manifold on top of the engine. It is not hard to replace.. this you can replace yourself.

The fuel tank pressure sensor is going to be a bit harder to replace. It sits on top of the fuel tank module that goes down inside the fuel tank. The fuel tank needs to be removed or at least dropped to be able to replace this part. Once this is done, you can remove and replace the fuel tank pressure sensor. IT will just pop right up from the fuel tank module.sending unit.
Amedee, Saturn Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector