ironmike, ASE Master Technician GM certified
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 30 years GM certified

2003 Saturn Vue: cyl Front Wheel Drive..Check engine light

Customer Question

2003 Saturn Vue 4 Cyl Front Wheel Drive. Check engine light on - no codes showing up on computer. Took it to 3 different shops. Still no codes. Running rough and dying. Won't go over 40 mph. Changed spark plugs. Used fuel additive and injector cleaner. Any ideas?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  ironmike replied 5 years ago.

I would check fuel pressure, check the intake manifold for a vacuum leak and see if the catalytic converter is clogging. Fuel pressure should be at least 50 psi, you can spray brake clean around the intake manifold at the cylinder head(#1 cylinder watch close) and see if the engine runs better or idle higher. You can rap/bang the cat to see if the element broke free(it will rattle)

let me know what you find

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I believe fuel pressure was 70. I had a mobile mechanic look at it. He's very competent and has helped me with many repairs before. He did also spray the intake manifold. I don't know for sure if he checked the catalytic converter.

I have never used this service before. How do I let you know what I find. He will not be able to look at it again at least until tomorrow. Is there a way to contact you again? Do I have to pay a fee each time to correspond with you? I will gladly pay you if it repairs the problem - actually I used pay pal and you are probably already paid, right?

Expert:  ironmike replied 5 years ago.

you contact me just as you responded to my answer. You pay when satisfied with the answer. I will work with you until the issue is solved. As long as we contact each other within 24 hrs this question stays open.

if you remove the 02 sensor or drop the exhaust pipe off the exhaust manifold and the vehicle runs better/ no power loss the catalytic converter is clogged. the concerter is covered under federal emissions warranty at dealers for 8 years or 80k miles. The dealer will replace for free if in the time/mileage.

Expert:  ironmike replied 5 years ago.
the upstream or 02 sensor before the cat converter would be the one to remove. The vehicle will run with it removed, it will set a code but that can be cleared.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The car has 120,000 miles on it so won't be covered under manufacturer's warranty. I am going to give this info to my mechanic and will try to get back with you later today. Thank you very much for the assistance.
Expert:  ironmike replied 5 years ago.
you are welcome