john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech 15 + years foreign domestic & european

97 saturn: 5spd..misfire on cylinder 4..higher rpm

Customer Question

I have a 97 saturn sl1 5spd. I have had a misfire on cylinder 4 twice when I take the care to a higher rpm (3500-4000). I cleared the codes both times. I then had a chance to drive my friends 99 sl1 5spd and i notice his car has noticeably more power then mine. I baby the car never rev the motor over 2300 rpm and drive at 65mph and only get 32mpg. the list of what I have done/ checked are
compression test 150 low 160 high
new fuel pressure regulator
new plugs wires
change to a known good coil pack
what could be the problem?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 5 years ago.
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. i would say the injector likley has a issue...I would start by changing the injector...

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the injectors are from what I can tell working fine. none stuck open or one spraying more then the other.
so the only code your getting is po 304?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got a p0304 the first time i got on the gas since I bought the car after reving it to 4500 and it seemed slugish. it gave the p0304 then I did the plugs wires and coil and then got on it again and same isue but with a p0301
have you checked fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it was 34 psi and autozone said that it should be 38-44 so I also replaced the regulator I didnt recheck the pressure but i figured with a new one in it should be good, right?
no..its likley a failing fuel pump..or clogged fuel filter...check pressure again... sounds like its a fuel issue....the injectors need a minimum of 40 psi
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sounds corect but I am also not getting nearly the fuel econmy that my friend gets with his and he drives it faily hard and I baby mine like no other I am alwas getting the bird when pulling away from a stop ligh or on the freeway. I get 32-33 and he gets 40-42. are these issues related if yes how so?
if the injectors have a lazy to weak fuel pressure and missfires..its going to greatly effect fuel efficency.....verify fuel pressure and get that corrected...i would be willing to bet fuel economy will improve and the miss fires will go away
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the Saturn supposed to hold fuel pressure after pump turns off I noticed that as soon as the pump turned off the fuel pressure dropped immediately?
yes it is suppoose to...sounds like a fuel pump.....i bet it has a hard start after sitting
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it takes 4 seconds of cranking to get it to start or two quick hits of like a second or so
replace the pump and filter
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
k thanks!
great any further questions feel free to ask..if the answer was useful please hit accept so i get credit for my work and time.