Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  15 years Saturn Technician experience.

Saturn L200 2002 Saturn L200- Air Bag Light comes on when

Customer Question

2002 Saturn L200-
Air Bag Light comes on when making hard left or right turn. Car just 200 miles over 100000 miles. Could this be a result of a clock switch. Took colume cover off after disconnecting battery and then waiting 30 minutes. Everything looks good and little if any dust. What do you think is causing this bag light to come on--
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

If this happens when sitting still with the engine running and turning the wheel as well as when driving and turning the steering wheel then most likely this is the coil in the steering column that is failing intermittently like this electronically.

If this doesn't happen sitting still with the engine running and turning the steering wheel then most likely you have a loose air bag wiring connection somewhere in the vehicle and is loose enough that the motion of turning the vehicle is making the connection disconnect.

What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked with a scan tool or code reader.This will aid in the diagnosis of which area this fault is so the connections can be checked.Any shop or dealer can do this for you as well as I have heard of parts stores in some areas checking fault codes free of charge as well.

Then once the code has been read out the circuit for that air bag component can be checked and traced to locate any loose connections and repaired.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience: 15 years Saturn Technician experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The typical OBDll scanner will not show these codes at a parts store. I took it to a reputable Service Center ( Michel Tires Plus ie; Firestone) and they had the correct equipment. They found no fault codes and did not charge me. I think your second paragraph is more the problem. I will peform the action you described in the first paragraph. From this action, I will determine whether I will take to dealer.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
It will take a scan tool that can communicate with the air bag computer.There are allot of scan tools out there that don't communicate with the air bag computer so you have to make sure one is used that can communicate with the air bag computer on this vehicle here.

Let me know if you need anything else,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One last question: once I have disconnected the battery and let car sit for 15 minutes to allow capacitors to discharge is it safe to unplug connectors in colume and spray with electric connection cleaner, apply dialect grease to connectors, then replug. I just don't want to trigger the bag to go off.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Once the battery has been disconnected it is o.k. to disconnect the connections but make sure your body is grounded touching the vehicle so you don't send static electricity into the connector just in case.

I wouldn't use any cleaners unless it is quick dry electronics cleaner and wouldn't apply die electric grease to them either.

Usually just disconnecting them and reconnecting them will correct a poor connection on an air bag connector.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I bought a spray can of CRC quick dry electronic cleaner. After cleaning, you don't think I would need to put a touch of dialectic grease to connectors to insure good contact.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
On air bag connections it isn't recommended to install any grease like this just to keep from possibly shorting out and blowing the air bag.

I have never tried it myself I just know it isn't recommended.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks very much! I drove the car to an appointment and the light came on when I had to manuever and the steering wheel was turned all the way to the right stop. Then the light came on. I turned the steering wheel all the way to the left stop and the light went out. I am going to clean the connectors and see if this annoying problem goes away. When I am driving the light stays off. If, with this bit of information, it helps uncover something, let me know. Thanks again.---Mike
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome.It sounds like a faulty coil in the steering column or a loose connection still.

Let us know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete!