Super mechanic
Super mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience

2008 Saturn Vue: odd grinding/buzzing noise..accelerate

Customer Question

My 2008 Saturn Vue AWD V-6 is making an odd grinding/buzzing noise when I turn and accelerate at the same time. Any ideas on what this might be? Thank you.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Super mechanic replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

That sounds like an outer CV joint problem.

There has been a service bulletin for that type of concern in colder temperatures that requires that the grease be changed in the outer joints. If it does it when warmed up, (or in the warmer months) then you will want to replace the outer joint.

Here is what it states.

Drivetrain - Front End Knocking Noise on Acceleration

Bulletin No.: 08-04-19-001

Date: March 17, 2008

Knocking Type Noise Coming From Front of Vehicle When Accelerating and Turning (Regrease Both Left and Right Front Wheel Drive Shaft Outer Joints)

2008 Saturn VUE

with V6 Engine (VINs 7, N - RPOs LY7, LZ4)

Some customers may comment on a knocking type noise coming from the front of the vehicle when accelerating and turning. This noise will typically only occur after a cold soak in temperatures below freezing and will go away after a few moments of driving or after the vehicle warms up. This condition is only present when both accelerating and turning.

Regrease both the left and right front wheel drive shaft outer joints following the procedure listed below. Use the synthetic grease provided in the new boot kit P/N 19178957.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How serious of an issue is it if it is the outer CV joint? Does it require that I take it to a dealership immediately and what can happen if I don't? Thank you.
Normally they will start to make a racket when they get real, real bad but when they let go the vehicle just won't be able to go. They aren't really a safety issue, just get you stranded when they totally break.

Some will give you a vibration when they are starting to sieze up. But it's not like an emergency situation and most any good reputable shop would be able to repair it, rather than the dealership, (stealership, lo) and probably for less money. Laughing

The facory pricing is,

art OEM Part Price
Constant Velocity Joint

Outer CV Joint 19150281 $265.90

Labor Skill
Constant Velocity Joint
Front Axle
One Side B 0.0 1.6
Both Sides B 0.0 2.9

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Your welcome and come again, anytime, thanks