Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, 32 Yrs Exp, All Cars/trucks

GM: a problem with the front passanger air bag sensor(

I have a 2007 Outlook that has a problem with the front passanger air bag sensor(does not show activated when somone is sitting in it) The GM garage is telling me the whole seat cushion has to be replaced as they can not replace just the sensor. This at a cost of $1200 plus labour. This sounds crazy! Also I see that the module can be bought on the internet as a seperate item. Can you tell me if the whole seat cushion has to be replaced

Thanks Dexter
Hello, I am Randall. 2 questions. Hav you owned since new? did they tell you the trouble code associated with the light on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I purchased vehicle 6 months ago. The dealership did not give me trouble code nor is it on the last invoice when they looked into problem
Ok, 2 things,. Ther was a recall in 2008 for the airbag control module as well as a passenegr presence system module update / recalibration for the pasneger side. I really feel the shop should have checked to see if recall was done and brought to your attention the fact there is a program update. very possible this would correct the code. Unsure how they determined the passenger seat sensor bad as we do not have the code to work with but assuming it really is defective, currently the seat cushion assy is only method of repair. the module are all separate items in the air bag syatmes but the seat sensor is a web aof tape per say thet senses weight. I would retune call the shop and ask to have recall history checked and inquire about the passenger module reprogram. I do not have cost estimate on the seat sensor assy but book labor time is 1.6 hours to change it

Bulletin No.: 08-09-41-004

Date: March 12, 2008

Airbag Light On, DTC B1000 Set (Reprogram Passenger Presence System (PPS) Module) Models:
2008 Buick Enclave
2005-2008 Cadillac SRX
2005-2008 Chevrolet Equinox
2007-2008 GMC Acadia
2006-2008 Pontiac Torrent
2007-2008 Saturn OUTLOOK
2007-2008 Suzuki XL-7

GMC/Acadia 2007

Saturn/Outlook 2007

MANUFACTURER: General Motors Corp.

COMPONENT: Air Bags: Frontal: Sensor/Control Module

On certain vehicles, the Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM), Which controls the function of front air bags, may not operate properly. As a result, the front air bags may fail to deploy in a frontal crash. Also, the air bag warning lamp on the instrument panel may fail to provide warning that the system is inoperative. CONSEQUENCE:
In the event of a crash, this condition could increase the risk of injury to occupants in the front seat. REMEDY:
Dealers will reprogram the SDM computer module. This recall began on February 22, 2007. Owners may contact GMC at 1-866-966-9463 or Saturn at 1-800-972-8876.
Important: The passenger presence system (PPS), heated seat element (if equipped), and the seat bottom foam cushion is a calibrated unit and cannot be service separately. After repairing or replacing the PPS, the system must be rezeroed in order to function properly.

The PPS is used to monitor the weight of an occupant on the front outboard passenger seat and communicate the status to the sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) whether to enable or suppress the deployment of the instrument panel (I/P) inflator module. The PPS consist of an electronic control module, sensor mat, heated seat element (if equipped), wiring harness, and PASSENGER AIR BAG ON/OFF indicators. The sensor is made up of several flexible conductive metal strips placed underneath the seat cushion trim. These sensor strips transmit and receive a low-level electric field. The weight of the occupant sitting in the front passenger seat is measured as a change in current flow within the sensor mat. If the sensor determines that the occupant weight is less than a specified value, the PPS module will send a suppress signal to the SDM to disable the I/P module. If the sensor determines the occupant weight is higher than a specified value, the PPS module will send an enable signal to the SDM to enable the I/P.