Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  15 years Saturn Technician experience.
14928985

2005 saturn ion 2: will not start on cold mornings

2005 saturn ion 2 will not start on cold mornings until it has been attempted more than 2-3 times, what is the problem and what would be the cost to get it repaired?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Does the vehicle start ok after the first start of the day?

Is the check engine light on with this problem?

Has anything been done to try and correct or locate the source of this problem yet?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if its 30 or below and hasnt started for a few hours then it wont start, we have been told its the ignition switch, the engine light is not on, also the tumbler hangs up as well
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
It may be possible that the ignition switch is causing this but it would need to be tested when it acts up to see if it is sending the correct voltage to the components it feeds to make sure of this.This can be common to cause this.

One other thing I would check into is the fuel pressure.If the fuel pump is weak it may not supply enough fuel pressure or volume which will mostly affect cold start operations like this.This needs tested with a fuel pressure test gage to see if this is what is at fault here.

If it is the ignition switch this can cost around $32.00 for the part and about 1 hours labor to have replaced.

If your key hangs up in the cylinder try another key and if it does the same then the cylinder is coming apart internally or the tumblers are failing and this would need replaced.

A new cylinder can cost around $45 for the part and less then an hours charge to replace.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, well we were told that it would cost around $500 to take the switch out and put the new parts in, he even said that it might not even fix the starting but the tumbler
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
As long as your key turns on then it would be the labor charge I have posted above plus the parts cost posted above to replace both of these and shouldn't cost much more then this as prices will vary but it shouldn't cost around $500 for a new switch and new cylinder.

Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience: 15 years Saturn Technician experience.