15yearsaturnguy
15yearsaturnguy, Saturn master tech
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, 15 years with Saturn
26401883

Saturn saturn I have a 1998 Saturn sedan that is leaking transmission

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Saturn sedan that is leaking transmission fluid everywhere. does this mean that my transmission is bad or could it just be a seal or gasket? how can i tell and change the gasket?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  15yearsaturnguy replied 3 years ago.

15yearsaturnguy :

Hello and thank you for your post. I am a master certified GM tech, with 15 years Saturn experience,and can help you to resolve your issue.

15yearsaturnguy :

if it is leaking everywhere then I assume it is a bad dripping leak?

15yearsaturnguy :

or is the trans just wet with fluid?

15yearsaturnguy :

either way, the trans should be cleaned off with brake cleaner and a leak detection dye can be added to pinpoint the leak with a UV light and special glasses for filtering the UV light. The dye will glow bright yellow.

15yearsaturnguy :

if the top of the trans cover is wet all around the electrical connector then the buss plate inside the valve body is cracked and leaking. The fluid will cascade down and all over the trans if that is leaking

15yearsaturnguy :

that is common

15yearsaturnguy :

how bad is the leak in terms of drops on the ground?

15yearsaturnguy :

other common leak points...

15yearsaturnguy :

side cover gasket

15yearsaturnguy :

side cover porosity

15yearsaturnguy :

trans filter

15yearsaturnguy :

valve body cover gasket (pre 98)

15yearsaturnguy :

axle seals

15yearsaturnguy :

all fixable but if the case gasket is leaking between the 2 halves of the trans, or if fluid is dripping steadily from the bell housing then the trans is probably too expensive to fix. Bettr to swap in a used trans.

15yearsaturnguy :

can I answer any other questions for you?

15yearsaturnguy :

OK so I see you are not there. I will log off. If you need any add'l info, please let me know

15yearsaturnguy, Saturn master tech
Experience: 25 years automotive experience, 15 years with Saturn
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
good luck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hello again is there anyway that You could get me a picture of the manual transmission that is in my car? also can i remove the transmission with out having to take the engine out'

the engine stays in but the subframe comes out so you have to "hang" the engine with braces to remove the trans.

here are some pics

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
pictures where just not as accurate as i would have liked

not sure what is happening here but you have relisted 2 times once for taking too long to answer and one for inaccurate answer.

If you need anything other than what you asked for, please re ask your question. You asked for pictures of the transmission and if the engine needed to be removed.

I answered with several pictures and the answer to your question.

Do you want step by step instructions as to how the trans is removed?

I can give that but you have not asked that of me.

I am sorry you are unhappy but you have not stated what you want

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry i do no speak clearly but yes i would like to hvae step by step instructions as to how the trans is removed. My computer was messing up and i did not mean to mark your answer the way that i did. please forgive me for my error.

here is the info you requested...

and here is the installation info...