15yearsaturnguy
15yearsaturnguy, Saturn master tech
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, 15 years with Saturn
26401883
Saturn

location of daytime running light sensor on a 2003 saturn vue

15yearsaturnguy :

Hello and thank you for your post. I am a master certified GM tech, with 15 years Saturn experience,and can help you to resolve your issue.

15yearsaturnguy :

teh sensor is located under the dark colored dome on the dash. Passenger side.

15yearsaturnguy :

It is the ambient light sensor. It decides whether the daytime running lights or the automatic headlamps should be on.

15yearsaturnguy :

If the sensor is OK then you may also have a bad resistor for the drl lights.

15yearsaturnguy :

IT is located under the drivers headlamp assembly. It is a white porcelin component about 2-3 inches by 1 inch and has a connector mounted directly to it. The other one with the 2 wires coming from it is for the fans.

15yearsaturnguy :

if you suspect the resistor is bad, unplug it and jump it and see if the drls work then. If they do then the resistor is no good.

hope this helps. If you need add'l help, let me know
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.

Is this the sensor that automatically turns the driving lights on when the motor is started? I realize there is a link with the emercency brake. Our vehicle is not equipped with a sensor to turn the lights on or off. We just use the manual switch. I m just concerned about finding the module that operates the daytime running lights and knowing how to test it. Thanks.

the daytime running lights (drl) are controlled by the body control module.
IT is located behind the a/c control panel.
If the drl's are not working then the first thing I would check is the low and high beam bulbs. Make sure all 4 are working normally. If 1 bulb is out the drl's will not work.
Then if they are all good, remove the drl relay in the fuse box and jump terminals 30 and 87 with a paper clip. If they still do not come on then the resistor is probably bad. (located under the drivers headlamp)
unplug it and jump the 2 wires and see if they now work.
after each thing you do, cycle the key from on to off and back to on. emergency brake off
let me know how you make out