JHoop
JHoop, Saturn Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner

2004 Saturn Ion: AC..the engine cooling fan fuse to blow..compressor

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Saturn Ion 2.2 and the AC is causing the engine cooling fan fuse to blow. I tested it without the fuse in and when the compressor cycles it shows a short. Is the compressor ground causing this and how can I troubleshoot it?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  15yearsaturnguy replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your post. I am a master certified GM tech, with 15 years Saturn experience,and can help you to resolve your issue.
the fan fuse (for the radiator fan) is powered by the cooling fan relay which is turned on by the engine computer when the a/c is turned on or the temp of the engine gets above 227F
Try running the engine at 2000 rpm in park until it gets hot enough to set the fan on and see if the fuse blows.
The a/c doesn't directly control the fan, th ea/c tells the engine computer to turn the fan on. The fan control for both scenarios are the same. I suspect a short between the fan relay and the fan.
You can also jump the relay terminals 30 and 87 and see if the fuse blows, if it does, you have a short between the relay and fan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I changed the relay and the fuse still blows. The engine will rev and I hear a click then the fuse blows. The AC also stops blowing cold air. The engine rev only happens when I am in stop and go traffic or at a stop. When I am moving about 20mph it never revs and don't hear the click.
Try running the engine at 2000 rpm in park until it gets hot enough to set the fan on and see if the fuse blows. with the a/c off
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You just repeated the same answer from the first time. No help at all.

thats because you havent answered my question.

never mind I will opt out

Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
Hello , my name is XXXXX XXX thank you for choosing justanswer.com. Please tell me all the problem as my answers are based on the information you provide.

New expert here. Can we determine one thing here. Will the engine temperature turn on the relay and blow the fuse?