MPMoore
MPMoore, GM WORLD CLASS TECH
Experience:  ASE MASTER W/L1 GM WORLD CLASS TECH
4232346

2005 Saturn Ion 2: wont start..10 minutes (new starter, new battery)

Customer Question

My 2005 Saturn Ion 2 won't start when it is cold and after trying many times and then it starts after 10 minutes (new starter, new battery).
Category: Saturn
Expert:  MPMoore replied 3 years ago.

This sounds like a theft system error. This is more common when its cold, the system will not let your car start. The theft system uses a signal from the ignition switch, the switch sends a signal to the engine computer and the computer decodes the signal. If the proper signal is sent, then the car will start. Sometimes when the switch is cold, it sends a improper signal. The signal is just a voltage signal but if the voltage is wrong the car will not start.

Gm has a bulletin on this issue. Have seen this issue may times. the repair is to replace the ignition switch. Here is the information.

#04-08-45-005D: No Crank or No Start, DTC B2960 and/or B3033 Set (Replace Ignition Switch) - (Mar 15, 2006)

Subject:No Crank or No Start, DTC B2960 and/or B3033 Set (Replace Ignition Switch)

Models:2003-2006 Saturn ION
Built Up To and Including VIN Breakpoint 6Z147837

Condition

Some customers may comment that their vehicle will not start. This comment is referred to as "no crank, no start with complete power."

Additional customer comments may be as follows:

A clicking noise may be noticed when the key is first turned to the START position, but no noise is heard after the initial start attempt.
The "Security" light may flash immediately after trying to start the car along with the message "Service Vehicle" in the Driver Information Center.
The vehicle may not start for at least 10 minutes after the first attempt to start the vehicle. Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) B2960 and or B3033 may be set in history in the BCM.

Cause

When the key is rotated from RUN to START there is a voltage signal sent to the BCM that goes through the PASSLOCK resistor in the ignition switch. This voltage signal may have an early ignition switch bounce (when going from RUN to START) that the BCM interprets as a failure in the PASSLOCK system and disables the starting circuit.

Correction

Using the chart below, verify that the ignition switch has been replaced at least once using P/N 10392423. After replacement of the ignition switch or replacement and reprogramming of the BCM, perform the 30-Minute Learn Procedure found in Programming Theft Deterrent System Components

MPMoore, GM WORLD CLASS TECH
Experience: ASE MASTER W/L1 GM WORLD CLASS TECH
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is BCM, perform the 30-Minute Learn Procedure found in Programming Theft Deterrent System Components?
Expert:  MPMoore replied 3 years ago.
After the ignition switch is replaced, you have the relearn the new password XXXXX the new switch. This is done by trying to start the engine. The theft light will flash for 10 mins, then go off. At this time, you turn the key off and try to start the engine again. You do this 3 times (30 mins) and then turn the key off and then start the car. Now the system has relearned the new code.