john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech 15 + years foreign domestic & european
6149662

Saturn L200 Where is the transmission fluid check plug on

Customer Question

<p>Where is the transmission fluid check plug on 2001 Saturn L200? There is a plug on the passenger side transaxle. I removed this and a lot of fluid came out. I then replaced the filter and pan gasket. The refill amount was 6.9 qts. When I got to about five it started coming out this plug. I closed it and put in 6.9qts. Obviously there is another plug where it should be checked. Can you describe the location? I also saw a tag fastened to the transmission kind of in the middle when looking from the rear under the car. Just to the left of this looked like a cap or plug that was round with a single flat on one side. Does this come off and a screw is underneath?</p>
Category: Saturn
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 6 years ago.
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

TRANSAXLE FLUID LEVEL CHECKING PROCEDURE

1. Start engine and operate vehicle until transaxle fluid temperature reaches at least 40°C (104°F).
  2. Depress brake pedal and move shift lever through all gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return shift lever to PARK range. For Cylinder vehicles only, perform steps 3 through 5:

IMPORTANT: Note the original position of the A.I.R. components

.

1. Remove clamp from A.I.R. hose behind the cooling fan.
  2. Separate the A.I.R. tube from the hose and push the tube back towards the transaxle

1. Remove the hose clip holding the two power steering lines together.

CAUTION: MAKE SURE VEHICLE IS PROPERLY SUPPORTED AND SQUARELY POSITIONED ON THE HOIST. TO HELP AVOID PERSONAL INJURY WHEN A VEHICLE IS ON A HOIST, PROVIDE ADDITIONAL SUPPORT FOR THE VEHICLE ON THE OPPOSITE END FROM WHICH COMPONENTS ARE BEING REMOVED.

1. Raise vehicle. Vehicle must be level, with engine running.

CAUTION: THE TRANSAXLE FLUID IS HOT. CAUTION MUST BE TAKEN TO PREVENT PERSONAL INJURY IN THE EVENT TRANSAXLE FLUID DOES DRAIN FROM THE PLUG HOLE AFTER THE PLUG IS REMOVED.

1. Remove transaxle level plug with engine running.
    2. Check fluid level. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of threaded plug hole. Check condition of transaxle fluid.

NOTICE: Saturn ATF (P/N 21005966) is not compatible with this transaxle. If Saturn ATF is used, transaxle damage will result. This transaxle uses DEXRON(R) III ATF (P/N 21019223).

1. If fluid level is low, add DEXRON(R) III automatic transaxle fluid in increments of 0.5 Qts until fluid drains from plug hole. If more than 1.6 Qts of fluid needs to be added to the transaxle, the transaxle may have a leak.

IMPORTANT: Before re-installing the transaxle level plug, apply Loctite Thread locker 242(R) .

1. Allow fluid to finish draining from plug hole. Install plug, and wipe any excess fluid from transaxle with a rag or shop towel. Torque:

Transaxle Fluid Level Plug: 12 Nm (9 ft. lbs.)

For 4 - cylinder vehicles only, perform steps 11 through 14:

1. Install the hose clip to the two power steering lines.
    2. Pull the A.I.R. tube back to the original position.

IMPORTANT: The clamp must be installed with the locking portion facing down

3.  

1. Insert the tube into hose and install clamp.

NOTICE: There is a stand-off clip between the A.I.R. tube and the wiring harness at the front of the transaxle. This must be in place to eliminate the possibility of chafing between the tube and the harness.

1. Ensure the stand-off clip between the A.I.R. tube and the wiring harness is installed correctly.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where is the transaxle level plug? What size wrench?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have seen this image before and it still did not help me nor did the info you sent me.

Sorry. Can you please not bill me?

What did help me is this article:

http://www.bowlingss.com/DownLoads/Service%20Manuals/2001%20Manual/TRANSM2.PDF

k