Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

Saturn Aura XR I have a 2008 Saturn Aura. I need to program

I have a 2008 Saturn Aura. I need to program a replacement keyless entry remote with starter button.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

Gm Tech (Cam) : Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.
Gm Tech (Cam) : did you just upgrade to remote start?
Customer :

No the remote start is factory

Customer :

Hello

Gm Tech (Cam) : OK, but you replaced the remote module?
Customer :

I dropped one of the remotes and ordered a new one

Gm Tech (Cam) : If it was was not programmed with the GM scan tool, then you will not be able to program it. All of this requires that scan tool.
Gm Tech (Cam) : ok, just teh remote. Did the tab inside break off?
Customer :

how do I get the tool

Customer :

the entire unit broke, I am using the second remote that came with the vehicle

Gm Tech (Cam) : That is a tool that the garage owns.
Gm Tech (Cam) : they are 2000+
Customer :

So what your saying is I have to take it to a garage

Gm Tech (Cam) : I know that is not what you want to hear.
Gm Tech (Cam) : but this takes 10 mins so I would suspect anyhting more than $25 is too much for this.
Customer :

when why does a site say something about using a jumper wire and waiting for the the locks to cycle

Gm Tech (Cam) : I Can double check but that sounds like old style programming for older vehicle.
Customer :

eHow site says it can be done with a jumper cable and the remote itself

Gm Tech (Cam) : ehow is wrong.
Gm Tech (Cam) : Important:    •  Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle. The order in which the transmitters are programmed is important. The first transmitter programmed will be transmitter #1, and the second transmitter programmed will be transmitter #2. Use care to program the transmitters correctly.   •  The scan tool must stay connected until all of the transmitters are programmed.   •  The keyless entry transmitters used in the Advance 2 Way Remote Start System isare unique to the system. When servicing or replacing a transmitter, ensure that the correct transmitter is used. The correct transmitter part number can be found in the Accessory section of the parts catalog. Attempting to replace an Advance 2 Way Remote Start transmitter with a regular service part will result in a failure to program the transmitter.Invalidate AllThis procedure will erase all keyless entry transmitters from memory.Install a scan tool.Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.With the scan tool, select Body.Select Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR).Select Module Setup.Select Program Key Fobs.Select Invalidate All.Follow the scan tool on screen instructions.Next Available SlotIncremental programming allows for a transmitter to be programmed into the next available location without affecting the currently programmed transmitters. Previously programmed transmitters will not be erased during this procedure.Important: If all  4 slots are programmed, the Invalidate All procedure will need to be performed to allow transmitter programming.Install a scan tool.Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.With the scan tool, select Body.Select Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR).Select Module Setup.Select Program Key Fobs.Select Next Available Slot.Follow the scan tool on screen instructions.Remove the scan tool.Exit the vehicle. Operate all functions on transmitters to verify correct system operation.Transmitter Slot ProgrammingTransmitter slot programming allows a single transmitter to be programmed into a specific slot without affecting any of the other programmed transmitters. By using slot programming, the transmitter originally programmed to a specific slot is erased and the new transmitter learned in its placed.Install a scan tool.Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.With the scan tool, select Body.Select Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR).Select Module Setup.Select Program Key Fobs.Select the key fob desired to be programmed.Follow the scan tool on screen instructions.Remove the scan tool.Exit the vehicle. Operate all functions on transmitters to verify correct system operation.
Gm Tech (Cam) : older GM trucks and cars, meaning prior to 2000 are when you could use that jumper to program.
Customer :

The new remote is the same as the old one, all numbers on the back are just the same on both remotes

Gm Tech (Cam) : yes, but the id's the remote transmits is different and that is why you need to relearn it to the vehicle.
Customer :

does it have to be a GM garage

Customer :

We have Ford and Dodge where I live

Gm Tech (Cam) : The ford and doge tools cannot, but those shops may have an aftermarket scan tool that can so it is possible.
Customer :

Well it looks like I'm off to a GM garage

Gm Tech (Cam) : hold on, check with the dodge and ford first, I said their factory tools will not, but most shops have the aftermarket solution so they can work on other makes.
Gm Tech (Cam) : my shop, we have a OTC scan tool as well.
Customer :

So I could just call and ask if the can do it on a Saturn

Gm Tech (Cam) : yes, that is what I would do.
Gm Tech (Cam) : tell them exactly what you are doing and that it needs a scan tool.
Customer :

Should I maybe say a OTC scan tool

Gm Tech (Cam) : o/c, snap on, mac mentor, there are many.
Customer :

ok, thank you. Now my $25 has raised to $43

Gm Tech (Cam) : it is the downside to the technology in these, you need the computers to work on these.
Customer :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX headed me in the right direction

Gm Tech (Cam) : you are most welcome.
Gm Tech (Cam), Saturn Mechanic
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.