Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

saturn ls2 i have a 2000 saturn ls2 that has cylinder 1 misfiring.

Customer Question

i have a 2000 saturn ls2 that has cylinder 1 misfiring. i have replaced the coil pack and cleaned the connectors. nothing has fixed the problem. i did drive it through about a foot of water about 2 months ago and it was in the water for about 2 hrs until i could get it out. i dont know if that has anything to do with my current problem but i was wondering if you had any suggestions of what could help me with my problem.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how it works. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can.

Does the engine misfire all the time or just once in a while?

Have you checked compression on number one cylinder?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have not checked the compression and it misfires almost all the time.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. if there was water inside the engine, then chances are you could have a mechanical issue going on here causing your misfire. I would start by checking engine compression. Not only on number 1 cylinder, but on all cylinders. This way you will know if you have a dead cylinder or not before throwing any more parts at it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My only question with that would be that it has been about a month and a half since i went through the water and it has ran fine up until about a week ago. Wouldnt the damage from the water have started showing earlier?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
YES! THat is correct!

If the compression checks out, then we check for spark and injector pulse on cylinder number one.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well, i dont have a compression checker where i am at so i am going to go to oreillys and see if i can borrow one. how do i check injector pulse?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
I would rec to check for fuel trigger. Fuel trigger is the signal from the computer to the injectors. You would use a tool called a noid light. It simply plugs into the injector connector after the fuel injector is unplugged and should blink when the engine is cranked over. It looks like this.

graphic

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!

Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE
Amedee, Saturn Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is there anything else that could be causing the misfire? I checked the compression on all of my cylinders and everything checks out fine.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
YES! NO injector pulse, coolant inside the combustion chamber or the valves not opening up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If the valves aren't opening properly, is there an easy way to fix that?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Well, if the cam lobes are worn, you would have to replace the camshaft.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If it was because the cam lobes were worn wouldnt that be a gradual problem not all of the sudden?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
YEs... i am not saying this is your problem. I am just bringing up some ideas for you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay, so back to your other ideas, if it was coolant in the combustion chamber, wouldnt that have burned off already? and how would that have happened?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Well if you have coolant inside the cylinders, then you have a blown head gasket. head gaskets do not just close up and stop leaking all of a sudden.

Also, try to dissconenct the mass air flow sensor and see if that does the trick.
Clean injectors. Disconnect injectors or fuel pump. Run on alternative fuel supply and see if the problem goes away. Remove rear coil housing assembly, remove boots, touch all terminals to ground. Have engine cranked, move terminals away from ground to approximately 1/2-5/8 inch air gap, inspect for consistent blue spark.

Potential Causes:
Incorrect Fuel Control Signal
Dirty Fuel Injector(s)
Failed Ignition Coil
Failed Ignition Coil Housing
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay, i will try that. thanks again.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
You bet!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hey, after going through all of this trouble, i think that i had bought the wrong coil pack. is cylinder one rear bank or front bank on my vehicle?

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well, it turns out i did buy the wrong coil pack. do you think that i should go ahead and order the other one?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
YES!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My car is now fixed. thanks a lot for your help.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Excellent!

Glad to hear it is all fixed!

Have a great day!