Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  17 years Saturn Technician experience.

idling..(Engine shut off while waiting in line at the car wash)

Customer Question

What causes the engine to shut off while idling? (Engine shut off while waiting in line at the car wash)
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Did the vehicle start right back up or did it have to sit a bit before it would restart?

Is the check engine light on as well when the vehicle is running or after this had happened?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The engine started right back up just fine and ran normal as well. No check engine light.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.

Even with no check engine light you may want to have the fault codes checked in the engine computer to see if any are set.This may aid or pinpoint the failure here.This can be done by just about any shop or dealer and I have even heard of parts stores checking codes for free in most places.

It is difficult to pinpoint for sure from here what has caused this but one common component to heat up and cause this is the crankshaft position sensor,this sensor can heat up and lose its signal which will cause a stall out.This sensor is located just next to the engine oil filter down towards where the transmission bolts up to the engine.

The cost of this sensor is right around $100 and labor is less then a half hour for replacement.

Your ignition switch may be faulty intermittently as well.

The only way to know for sure is to have these components tested if it happens again,they would have to be tested when the vehicle is acting up to get the best results.

Crank sensors are common to cause this type of fault here and may be what is failing on your vehicle.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!