Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Saturn Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

2002 Saturn Vue: 2.2L..1st gear..the shifter as you put it..grinding

I have a 2002 Saturn Vue 2.2L 5spd; it is hard to put into 1st gear unless you push down on the shifter as you put it into first. If you try and put it in without pushing down on the shifter it is very hard to put into gear most (95%) of the time. At no time do you hear any gear or synchro noise or grinding. I currently have 3 other Saturns and 7 others in the past; 3 have had 5spds none required this procedure to get it into 1st. This is my 1st Vue, is this normal ?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Saturn problem.

Do you have problems engaging any other gears?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No; I can hear the linkage make noise sometimes going into 2nd and occassionaly 3rd. Again no internal noise on any gear just linkage noise which will sometimes move or hit the plastic housing that the shifter comes out of in the passenger compartment. (housing that holds the shifter with the pleather boot) The reverse gear is the usual push down and over and always goes in with no problem. Some times it is smooth as silk to put trans in 1st after coming out of reverse.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.

First thing you should do is to inspect the rubber bushings at the cable ends where the cables attach to the shift linkage on the transmission. If the bushings are okay, you will need to adjust the shift cables.

The console around the shifter can be removed by prying up at the front edge first and then lifting it out.

Then adjust the shift cables by prying up on the lock and repositioning the cable housing as shown in the picture below. There are two cables, you likely only need to adjust the one cable that moves when the shifter is moved forward and backward.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hopefully Your Right; what if this isn't the problem?