Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2002 SATURN: TIMING BELT MARKS.EACH CAM SPROKET HAS 2 TIMING MARKS.

HAVE A 2002 SATURN 3.0 ENGINE NEDD HELP ON TIMING BELT MARKS.EACH CAM SPROKET HAS 2 TIMING MARKS. WHICH 1 DO WE USE. WE HAVE THE SPECIAL TOOLS.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Hello!

Here are a few pictures of the timing belt marks.

graphic
graphic
graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we have timing marks like you sent. the problem is all the cam gears have 2 marks on them. when we did the job we did not realize this . what marks do we use? i own chuck's auto repair in Nashua, N.H. I am ASE General certified 30 years. But this one has us all baffled.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Can you upload a picture of the cam sprockets so I can seem the marks?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

tried, but it will not work. really can't see it good enough. can we talk to you? i'll pay. XXX-XXX-XXXX. give me your #

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
I would love to send you my number and would be more than happy to discuss this with you over the phone but it is against Just Answer rules to do so. I could loose my account here on Just Answer.

Are these marks very close to each other or are they spaced apart quite a bit?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
cams 1 & 2 are 14 teeth apart cams 3 & 4 are 4 teeth apart. if we put cam 1 & 2 on the other marks we can not turn the engine over by hand. so i assume 1&2 are ok. we tried 3 & 4 on the other marks but still no start.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
One thing you could do is just install them how you think they should go and before turning the motor at all, pull off the valve cover (if you have not done so already) and look to see where the cab lobes are.

Obviously, number one cylinder going down on compression stroke, you are going to want the cam lobes away from the top of the valves because both valves need to stay closed as the cylinder is going down on the compression stroke. If the cab lob is pushing down or starting to push down on either of the valves when the number one piston is going down on the compression stroke, then the sprocket is installed wrong.