15yearsaturnguy, Saturn master tech
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, 15 years with Saturn

2006 Saturn Vue: a ticking noise during warm up..getting louder

Customer Question

My 2006 Saturn Vue has developed a ticking noise during warm up. It is getting louder and the noise lasts longer than it use to. Sounds like Valve noise. Any Recomendations?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX is most likely a sticking lifter, it is common on these, we use a product called BG Quickclean, you add this to your oil and run the vehicle for 10 minutes and then change the oil, it is very effective for freeing up sticking lifters, we use it alot,Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did what you recomend but problem still exists. any other thoughts?
Expert:  15yearsaturnguy replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your post. I am a master certified GM tech, with 15 years Saturn experience,and can help you to resolve your issue.
You can try using a mechanics stethoscope( sold at sears for less than 20$$) to locate the area the noise is coming from. If it is in the valve area, you need to remove the timing chain, pull the cam shafts and check the lifters. One may be bad. It will compress and decompress very easily if it is bad, it will feel solid if it is good.