15yearsaturnguy
15yearsaturnguy, Saturn master tech
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, 15 years with Saturn

2008 saturn vue: traction control..The check engine light came

Customer Question

last night i got a Stabilitrak Error while driving my 2008 Satuirn Vue it said that I had reduced engine power and I had to pull of to the side of the road. After sitting with the engine off for about 20 minutes the problem went away and I was able to drive with traction control turned off. The check engine light came on with a P1516 error code. What should I do?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  15yearsaturnguy replied 3 years ago.

15yearsaturnguy :

Hello and thank you for your post. I am a master certified GM tech, with 15 years Saturn experience,and can help you to resolve your issue.

15yearsaturnguy :

This is a complicated issue you have...

15yearsaturnguy :

The code you have states that your throttle plate is not open to the amount that the control module has determined that it should be open. It is either stuck closed or not open enough or open too far.

15yearsaturnguy :

As a resut the engine control module sets that code and shuts the accelerator system down.

15yearsaturnguy :

The testing procedures rely on a scan tool for some steps but some require only a voltmeter to test.

15yearsaturnguy :

Be sure to only stick the voltmeter probe in the back of the connector so as not to damage the terminals.

15yearsaturnguy :

try this.

15yearsaturnguy :

Good luck

15yearsaturnguy :

Circuit/System Verification

1. With the ignition ON, use a scan tool to observe the TP sensor 1 indicated position. Throttle position should increase as pedal is applied and decrease as pedal is released. When no accelerator pedal activity is detected, the throttle position will return to the spring loaded default position.

2. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.

Circuit/System Testing

Caution: Turn OFF the ignition before inserting fingers into the throttle bore. Unexpected movement of the throttle blade could cause personal injury.

1. Inspect the throttle body for the following conditions:

• A throttle blade that is NOT in the rest position

• A throttle blade that is binding open or closed

• A throttle blade that is free to move open or closed WITHOUT spring pressure

¤If a condition is found, replace the throttle body.

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the throttle body.

2. Ignition ON, verify that a test lamp does not stay illuminated between the motor control 1 circuit and ground.

¤If test lamp stays illuminated, test the motor control circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

1. Ignition ON, verify that a test lamp does not stay illuminated between motor control 2 circuit and ground.

¤If test lamp stays illuminated, test the affected motor control circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

1. Ignition ON, verify that a test lamp does not illuminate between the motor control 1 circuit and B+.

¤If test lamp illuminates, test the affected motor control circuit for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

1. Ignition ON, verify that a test lamp does not illuminate between the motor control 2 circuit and B+.

¤If test lamp illuminates, test the motor control circuit for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

1. Ignition OFF, allow sufficient time for the ECM to completely power down. Connect a DMM between the motor control 1 circuit and ground. Important: When measuring peak voltage, ensure that the DMM is on the proper voltage scale and the response time is set to 1 ms.

2. Using the peak min max function measure for ignition voltage on the motor control 1 circuit as the ignition is turned ON. The voltage should be within 1.5 volt of the ignition voltage.

¤If not the specified value, test for an open or high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

1. Ignition OFF, allow sufficient time for the ECM to completely power down. Connect a DMM between the motor control 2 circuit and ground.

2. Using the peak min max function, measure the voltage on the motor control 2 circuit as the ignition is turned ON. Voltage should be within 1.5 volt of ignition voltage.

1. If all circuits test normal, replace the throttle body.

Repair Instructions

Perform theDiagnostic Repair Verification (See: Verification Tests and Procedures) after completing the diagnostic procedure.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above. Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
the links probably will not work for you so if you need add'l help, let me know
15yearsaturnguy, Saturn master tech
Experience: 25 years automotive experience, 15 years with Saturn
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The car and throttle body runs fine. My concern is the sudden failure of Stabilitrak and how it effects engine performance. Will it happen again and why/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Still need more information on the Stabilitrak failure.

OK the code you sent me was for the throttle body and that will disable the stabilitrac if that code sets so you do need to diagnose that and move on from there.

Unless you have any codes stored in the abs computer or the elec brake trac cont module, there is no other cause for your stabilitrac to be disabled.

Understand that all computers work together and stabilitrac relies on the engine computer to control the throttle when it want to prevent wheel slip it will close the throttle, so any issues with the throttle will result in the stabilitrac system disable.