Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Saturn Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

My 98 SL1 Manual Transmission linkage..engage..gears..console

My 98 SL1 Manual Transmission linkage doesn't engage gears 2, 4 &R. I've removed the console and the linkage is OK inside the car. I've also confirmed both linkage cables are still attached to the transmission.

There is a "Hold-down" spot where the cables turn left into the engine compartment, and screws are loose. Could simply tigjhtening these fix my problem?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Saturn problem.

A loose hold down in the middle of the cable will not harm anything. As long as the cable housing is secure at the shifter end and at the transmission end, this should be okay. A common problem is the rubber bushing coming out of the end of the cable where the cable attaches at the transmission. Check this carefully and let me know if you need additional assistance.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The cable (just replaced 11 months ago BTW) looks from below like it's "frayed" in a way. While the white plastic center is intact, the metal wires surounding (protecting?) the center are exposed. could this be the problem?

Can I send you a photo somehow?

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.

You can click on the tree icon above the dialog box that you type in to attach a picture.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. Here is the pic. Sorry it took a while...

Upon further review, the white plastic you see is just a sheath over the steel cable in the center. Here you can see the steel "wires" that I spoke of before. Can this be repaired in the car, or must the cable be removed first?

I "just happen" to have the old cable set that was replaced last year when the bushing came loose under the console. (Nothing wrong with them, but it cost me almost $600 for the parts and labor at an AAMCO place, because they said the bushing was not available as a single part from Saturn.) I noticed that the place where the wires go into in the cable is hexagonally shaped like it might be tightened with a wrench. But when I tried this on the old cable, it just spun in my vise.

I also noticed that the Holddown point I referred to before is sitting about 6 inches forward of the firewall, and there's nothing to tighten it to. My thinking is the AAMCO guy who "fixed" this for me last year found it difficult to put the holddown back where it belongs, so he jibbered some tarlike schmutz in the hole and called it a day. Any chance this could have caused the cable failure I'm trying to fix?graphic

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.

After looking at the picture, the cable is definitely bad. The cable housing has pulled out of the crimp at the end of the cable. This does not appear to be an installation error. You will need to replace the cable. You may be able to use one of the old cables if you can repair the bushing end. Check the link below for replacement bushings for the Saturn shift cables.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/TC/4883-06008408.html?utm_sou rce=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_term=1991-2001+Saturn+SL1+M%2FT+Shift+Cable+Bushing+Replacement+91-01+Saturn+M%2FT+Shift+Cable+Bushing&utm_content=TC&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.

.

Did you need additional help with your question?

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I could capture the wires with a hose clamp (or three) on the outside of the crimp, would that Arabize the cable assembly enough to allow shifting?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
You would need to be able to insert the housing (metal strands and plastic sheathing) back down into the metal crimp sleeve at the end, then clamp it in place. This may require the crimp sleeve to be opened back up a bit. This may be difficult to do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Too hard to stick the wires inside the crimp. I hope to capture them outside and hold th in place with three little hose clamps. Question: is there a particular gear position I should put the shifter in before attempting the repair?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
I would suggest moving the shift lever and transmission linkage into the 4th gear position before clamping the cable housing.
Dave Nova, Saturn Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification