Bill, Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Master Certified Technician

heater blows out cold air..heats

heater blows out cold air when the car is idoling but the air heats up when you start driving again
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.

Can I ask what year the vehicle is and also if you have a check engine light on?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is an 08 and no engine light is on
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.

Is the coolant level in the surge tank under the hood in the normal/mid range, is the temp gauge on your dash in the normal/mid range when the lack of heat occurs and also what is the general condition of the cooling system. Is there any debris or contamination in the tank?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the surge tank was low on coolant. i fill the tank up and it seem to solve the problem for now how ever i will keep an eye on the coolant level to make sure it stays full if not ill start looking for leaks. thankyou for your help
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.

I've seen many of them leak from the surge tank cap. The overflow is actually down the center of the surge tank. They've redesigned the cap a few times for not sealing properly. Generally you won't notice a leak as it's very small but you may want to replace that surge tank cap and also make sure there is no coolant over in the water pump area.

I hope you can accept my answer and let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks :)