George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years

2004 saturn Ion: the left front turn signal..signal light..hood

Customer Question

I need to replace the left front turn signal light on my 2004 saturn Ion; I opened the hood, and it looks like everything to do with the light is all in one piece. What do i do next?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

You can reach the bulb socket from the back of the lamp, turn it 90 degrees counter clockwise and pull it from the lamp housing and pull the bulb straight out of the bulb socket

Click here for procedure

Let me know if you have trouble opening the link the site has had problems today posting the links

Thank you

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do I get to the back of the light assembly (the whole headlight & everything) - does this need to come out of the car?
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

No you can reach in behind the light and twist the bulb holder to remove it from the lamp

If you feel you need to pull the whole lamp out pull the two pins on top and the whole assembly will come free. You would have to do this to replace the headlamp bulb

Click here for procedure

Let me know if you have further questions about this

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the owner's manual talks about needing to disconnect the electrical connector before removing the old bulb. Do I really need to do this? I can see a couple different places where wires are involved (directly coming out of the whole headlight piece, then where wires meet up with a plastic plug, and then closer to the engine where wires meet another plastic plug. To be honest, I can't tell which way to pull, push, press, or whatever, to make any of these connections come apart, so can I skip that without electrocuting myself? sorry to be so stupid about all this.
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

No you do not need to disconnect the connector and there is not enough voltage to hurt yourself so don't worry about that. Turn the bulb holder 90 degrees and it will pull out of the hole in the lamp housing as shown in the first diagram I posted. You have the pins out of the headlamp and the headlamp pulled out?

The first time you do something is the hardest, after that it is easy so no need to be sorry just let me know where you are having trouble and I will try to guide you.

The turn bulb can be removed without removing the lamp housing but it may be a stretch to get it turned all the way while it is still plugged in. You disconnect the connector from the base of the bulb holder.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, George, you are a genius! You have actually gotten me into the whole assembly, and the bad bulb removed! When I looked at this project this morning, I figured I'd have to find a mechanic, but with your help, I did it! The only problem is, the auto parts store sold me a bulb with a base a little bigger than the original, so it's back to the store tomorrow, but now I know I'll be able to put it in. Thank you!
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

I am glad you were able to get it out, if you look on the bulb base it will say 3057 or 3157 and that is the bulb number. Either one of those will fit, the base may look a little different but it should plug right into the socket.