15yearsaturnguy
15yearsaturnguy, Saturn master tech
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, 15 years with Saturn
26401883

My 1999 Saturn SL2 has started shifting hard. Is this the valve

My 1999 Saturn SL2 has started shifting hard. Is this the valve body or could it be something else?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  15yearsaturnguy replied 6 years ago.

15yearsaturnguy :

Hello and thank you for your post. I am a master certified GM tech, with 15 years Saturn experience,and can help you to resolve your issue.

15yearsaturnguy :

the valve body is most likely involved, you need to preform a few tests to know if total valve body replacement is needed or just a component or two.

15yearsaturnguy :

Do you have any diagnostic equipment or a good GM technician that does?

15yearsaturnguy :

Replacing the valve body will fix 99% of the harsh shifting issues but sometimes you need a new solenoid or connector plate in the valve body, the rest is OK.

let me know how I can help
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My friend who is helping me has a handheld code reader/diagnostic tool that reads live info from the vehicle, but the check engine light is not on so I don't believe it is throwing a code. What tests do we need to perform?

the first is a solenoid sound test, but you must have a factory scan tool or a scan tool with the ability to pulse the various solenoids in the valve body and see if the line pressure solenoid is making any sound and if so, does it stop when you wiggle the connector on the transmission.
Then a line pressure test, remove the trans temperature sensor just below the battery, small 2 wire sensor and screw in a pressure tester and see what your line pressure is, it should be around 75 psi at idle and then go to over 225 psi when you remove the trns lp fuse.
If you are unable to do those tests, then any diagnosis would be a guess. Replacing the valve body will fix your problem 99% of the time but that may be overkill.