Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My car wont engage the starter. My ignition would not turn

My car won't engage the starter. My ignition would not turn out of the off position so I replaced the ignition with a whole new steering column with ignition from a salvage yard.

Hi, I'm Cam
I will answer your question quickly but we may need to discuss this further. Please reply to continue the discussion.

30-Minute Learn Procedure

Important: Do not remove the key from the ignition during this procedure. If the key is removed, the procedure will have to be performed from the beginning.

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON. The vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1-4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important: The vehicle learns the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password.