FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

1997 saturn Sl2; have replaced temp sensor, cooling fan will

1997 saturn Sl2; have replaced temp sensor, cooling fan will not come on. After driving and the car gets hot it will not start until engine cools off...?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 3 years ago.
Hello JACUSTOMER< did the fans just stop working all of a sudden?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I have the Temp sensor plugged in the fan will not run, when temp sensor is plugged in fan will not come on, fan will run if temp sensor not plugged in. car runs great with temp sensor plugged in BUT will not start until cools down after about 15 minutes or so; I have changed the temp sensor out 2 times, what is the sensor looking device on manifold has 1 wire coming from it and goes into cooling fan harness?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 3 years ago.
Is the sensor below the EGR valve the one that you replaced? DOes the temperature gauge work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes man its the ONLY Temperature sonsor that I know of on the car, the one below the EGR valve in the head with 2 wires coming from it. The temp guage is working now when the temp sensor is hooked up; the problem is it not starting after driving from getting too hot. The weather here is cooling down so its NOT overheating when I drive it; BUT like I said the cooling fan is not coming on either, fan relay is working fine too; fan only comes on when temp sensor is unpplugged...
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 3 years ago.
Okay. The problem is then either in the computer or in the wiring from the computer to the temp sensor. The computer also uses the vehicle speed sensor to determine the fan speed. If the speed sensor is not working then the speedometer will not be working right. You will need a computer scanner to see if the computer is picking up the correct speed and engine temperature.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where is the computer located on this car?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 3 years ago.
It is under the dash on the drivers side.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do the 2 wires, one black and one Yellow from Temp Sensor go straight to the Computer, or do they go to a fuse panel first?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 3 years ago.
They go to the computer.
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience: ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.