15yearsaturnguy
15yearsaturnguy, Saturn master tech
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, 15 years with Saturn
26401883

I have a 2002 sl2 that shifts hard into reverse..well taken care

I have a 2002 sl2 that shifts hard into reverse. It has 168k on it and is well taken care of, since i have owned it. Is there anything i can do to help easy the hard reverse? At times, usually after filling up with gas for some reasons, it hard downshifts. any ideas?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  15yearsaturnguy replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your post. I am a master certified GM tech and can help you to resolve your issue. The hard reverse and hard downshifting is usually due to a faulty valve body regulator valve or a loose connection to an actuator inside the valve body itself. The valve body is the main control center of the transmission that applies the gears and also regulates the oil pressure. If the line pressure actuator is loose or bad then you will have a very hard shift into every gear when the symptom happens (it may come and go) The shift will be so bad that you will swear the windshield will crack.

If the harshness is limited to reverse then your line pressure valve is sticking and the valve body must be replaced.

To determine whether it is an actuator or valve, you will need a scan tool that can turn the actuator on and off while you wiggle the connector on top of the trans. If the actuator turns off and on while you are wiggling the connector then it is a bad connection. If it stays on the whole time then it is probably a bad valve.

If its the valve then you need a whole new valve body assembly. If it is the actuator, then I would replace the actuator (solenoid) and the bus plate that attaches it to the wiring connector.

Hope this helps.

Also, anytime there is a trans repair made, you always need to remove the end cover and replace the input shaft nut as they are very often loose and will cause a delayed shift and or slipping trans.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am a certified aircraft mechanic, and so i have technical abilities however transmissions are not my everyday thing. Is this something you would recommnend someone take to a transmission shop to assess, or would you say it is something I could perhaps do and troubleshoot myself? Are the parts and tools something difficult to obtain?

Thanks for the help!!

if you know mechanics then you could probably do this repair but diagnosing it is the tough part. I would see if you can find a place with a GM tech2 scan tool to diagnose it and then attempt the repair yourself or if it makes you feel more comfortable, just bring it to a transmission shop. here is some helpful info

1. Remove air cleaner and duct assembly.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable from battery.
  2. Disconnect positive battery cable from battery.
  3. Remove hold-down retaining nut and screws, and lift off battery hold-down retainer.
  4. Lift the battery out of vehicle, and place in a safe location.

1. Disconnect PCM J2 (black 28-way) harness connector by moving locking device toward fender.
  2. Remove PCM attachment bolts.
  3. Remove and flip PCM on its side, out of the way.

1. Remove battery tray. IMPORTANT: One bolt is located in the fender well
  2. Back out transaxle connector bolt and disconnect transaxle connector. NOTICE: ABS equipped vehicles require the master cylinder to be moved off booster studs and the ABS mid-rail bracket bolt removed to allow the system to be lifted slightly for removal of the valve body cover. Use care not to bend or kink brake lines. After removing the valve body cover place the master cylinder back on the booster studs.

1. ABS equipped vehicles, remove master cylinder-to-booster nuts and ABS mid-rail bracket bolt.
  2. Remove valve body cover. NOTICE: Do not remove the bolt indicated in the drawing. This bolt holds the upper and lower valve body together as the valve body is removed. If bolt is removed in the vehicle, parts will fall into the transaxle.

1. Remove 11 valve body-to-case bolts (identified on illustration by the heavy circles).
  2. Pull valve body up and disengage from manual valve link.
  3. Remove valve body.

1. Lower valve body into case and insert manual link into manual valve. IMPORTANT: The valve body-to-case bolts must be placed in the valve body prior to installation.

1. Install and finger tighten valve body-to-case dowel bolts first. This procedure must be followed to ensure valve body is properly aligned to the case. For reference, the bolts are identified as follows: (1) Valve body-to-case dowel bolts (2) Upper-to-lower valve body dowel bolts (3) Bolt holding upper and lower valve body
  2. Clean and lubricate fasteners with Saturn Transaxle Fluid. Wipe off excess fluid and install. NOTICE: Over-torqueing bolts can cause valves to bind.

1. Torque valve body-to-case bolts using torque sequence shown in illustration.
    • Torque: 11 Nm (8 ft. lbs.)

IMPORTANT: For locations of the valve body bolts, refer to the valve body bolt chart.

VALVE BODY BOLT CHART

1. Clean transaxle case and valve body cover sealing surfaces with Saturn Choke and Brake Cleaner or equivalent, applied with a clean shop towel. IMPORTANT: Install new gasket during reassembly.
  2. Align the valve body cover gasket on the valve body cover and install on the transaxle case. IMPORTANT: Clean and lubricate fasteners with Saturn Transaxle Fluid. Wipe off excess fluid.
  3. When installing the valve body cover, make sure to properly torque the valve body cover bolts using the torque sequence shown.
    • Torque: 12 Nm (9 ft. lbs.)
  1. Verify torque of the valve body cover bolts to account for gasket relaxation using the torque sequence shown.
    • Torque: 12 Nm (9 ft. lbs.)

1. Install and torque master cylinder-to-booster nuts.
    • Torque: 27 Nm (20 ft. lbs.)
  1. Install and torque ABS mid-rail bracket bolt.
    • Torque: 12 Nm (9 ft. lbs.)
  1. Connect transaxle solenoid harness connector. NOTICE: Do not over-tighten or damage to the connector plate may occur.
  2. Torque transaxle connector bolt.
    • Torque: 3 Nm (27 inch lbs.)

1. Install battery tray.
  2. Torque battery tray bolts.
    • Torque: 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.)

IMPORTANT: One bolt is located in the fender well.

1. Install PCM and attachment bolts.
    • Torque: 6 Nm (53 inch lbs.)

NOTICE: PCM connector bolt torque is critical.

1. Connect PCM J2 black 28-way connector and engage locking device.

1. Make sure battery tray is clean.
  2. Make sure battery cable ends are clean and free of corrosion. (Clean with a wire brush.)
  3. Make sure battery is in good physical condition (e.g., no cracks, or obvious damage) and terminals are clean.
  4. Install battery carefully in battery tray; make sure terminals do not short against any metal during installation.
  5. Install battery hold-down retainer, locking battery into tray. Install and tighten the hold-down retainer nut and screws.
    • Torque: 9 Nm (80 inch lbs.)
  1. Install positive battery cable first.
    • Torque: 17 Nm (13 ft. lbs.)
  1. Install negative battery cable last.
    • Torque: 17 Nm (13 ft. lbs.)

1. Install air cleaner and duct assembly.
  2. Set clock.

FOR SOLENOID OR BUS PLATE CONNECTOR ONLY see next post

REMOVAL

IMPORTANT: Only remove valve body cover. The valve body does not have to be removed from the transaxle to gain access to the solenoids.

1. Remove valve body cover.
  2. Remove solenoid cover-to-valve body bolts (identified by the heavy circles) and remove solenoid cover. The solenoids are identified below: (1) Pressure Control Solenoid (2) Shift Solenoid 2 (3) TCC Solenoid (4) Shift Solenoid 4 (5) Shift Solenoid 3

1. Lift solenoid connector plate off solenoid pins using care not to damage connector plate. IMPORTANT: Note position of solenoid valve(s) before removing.
  2. Remove solenoid by twisting as the solenoid is removed.

INSTALLATION

1. Lube solenoid O-rings.

1. Install solenoids with a twisting motion.

1. Check connector plate terminals with a #43 (2.25 mm) drill bit. There should be a slight drag on the shank. If there is no drag replace the connector plate.
  2. Align the solenoid pins to the connector plate.
  3. Install the connector plate.
  4. Install the solenoid cover. IMPORTANT: Clean and lubricate fasteners with Saturn Transaxle Fluid. Wipe off excess fluid. IMPORTANT: The dowel bolts must be placed in the holes shown to align the upper valve body to the lower valve body. The solenoids are identified below: (1) Pressure Control Solenoid (2) Shift Solenoid 2 (3) TCC Solenoid (4) Shift Solenoid 4 (5) Shift Solenoid 3

1. Install the solenoid cover bolts and finger tighten. NOTICE: Over-torqueing bolts can cause valves to bind.
  2. Torque solenoid cover bolts using torque sequence shown in illustration.
    • Torque: 11 Nm (8 ft. lbs.)

IMPORTANT: Using the Saturn Service Stall (SSS ) system, reset the adaptive before driving vehicle if the pressure control solenoid was replaced.

1. Install valve body cover.

to remove the end cover and replace the input shaft nut follow the steps below and when the cover is off, the left side is the input shaft, the gear will turn as you try to tighten the nut...use a chain wrench to hold it while tightening to 111 ft lb but be sure it is not going to crush the gear. If not sure then use a 1/2" gun to tighten it.

REMOVAL

CAUTION: MAKE SURE VEHICLE IS PROPERLY SUPPORTED AND SQUARELY POSITIONED ON HOIST. TO HELP AVOID PERSONAL INJURY, PROVIDE ADDITIONAL SUPPORT TO THE OPPOSITE END OF THE VEHICLE THAT COMPONENTS WILL BE REMOVED.

1. Raise vehicle on hoist.
  2. Remove left front road wheel.
  3. Remove left wheelhouse splash shield.
  4. Drain transaxle fluid.

1. Remove cotter pin from lower ball joint and discard. Loosen nut and back off until top of nut is even with top of threads. NOTICE: On ABS equipped vehicles, the outer CV joint has a speed sensor ring. Using the incorrect tool or procedure to separate the control arm from the knuckle can damage the ring, resulting in loss of ABS operation. NOTICE: Do not attempt to separate joint using a wedge type tool because the boot may be damaged.

1. Separate ball joint from steering knuckle using SA9132S and remove nut.
  2. Remove bolt retaining brake line bracket to inner fender and position brake line to avoid interference.

1. Remove transaxle mount-to-cradle fastener.
  2. Place a screw type jack stand under the transaxle casing (use a block of wood between stand and casing) to unload transaxle lower mount.
  3. Remove two mount-to-transaxle fasteners.

1. Loosen and back off on two cradle-to-body bolts. Do not remove bolts.
  2. Raise powertrain enough to remove mount and remove mount from vehicle.
  3. Lower jack.

1. Remove end cover bolts. NOTICE: Use care when removing end cover as the tubes can bend easily.
  2. Remove end cover. Refer to the "End Cover Disassembly/Assembly" procedures if replacing or reconditioning end cover, tubes, or seals. Refer to the "1st Clutch, 1st Drive Gear and 1st Driven Gear Removal" procedures if replacing 1st gear assembly.

INSTALLATION

1. Clean gasket surfaces and install gasket on to end cover dowel pins.

1. Install the end cover to the transaxle case. Insert the input and output shaft tubes into the ends of the shafts and install cover. If the cover does not seat, rotate the axle to help align the tubes with the bushings in the shafts. IMPORTANT: Clean and lubricate fasteners with Saturn Transaxle Fluid. Wipe off excess fluid.
  2. Install the end cover to case bolts and torque using torque sequence.
    • Torque: 28 Nm (21 ft. lbs.)
  1. Install bolt into brake line bracket and torque.
    • Torque: 5 Nm (44 inch lbs.)

1. Raise powertrain up and install transaxle mount.
  2. Install two lower mount-to-transaxle fasteners.
    • Torque: 32 Nm (24 ft. lbs.)
  1. Tighten two cradle-to-body bolts.
    • Torque: 210 Nm (155 ft. lbs.)
  1. Lower powertrain completely. IMPORTANT: Make sure that the lower mount stud inserts in cradle accurately, without damaging stud threads.
  2. Install transaxle lower mount-to-cradle fastener.
    • Torque: 48 Nm (35 ft. lbs.)
  1. Install splash shield.

1. Clean and lubricate ball joint threads. NOTICE: Take care not to tear rubber boot when installing ball joint to knuckle.
  2. Position ball joint into steering knuckle.
  3. Install nut to lower ball joint and torque.
    • Torque: 75 Nm (55 ft. lbs.) If necessary, after torquing, tighten nut additionally to align slot in nut with cotterpin hole in ball joint, and install cotterpin and bend ends.

NOTICE: Before installing wheels remove rust or corrosion from wheel mounting surfaces and brake rotors/drums. Failure to do so can cause wheel lug nuts to loosen in service.

1. Position wheel onto hub.
  2. Install wheel nuts and tighten in a crisscross pattern.
    • Torque: 140 Nm (103 ft. lbs.) Repeat tightening pattern to be sure torque is correct.
  1. Lower vehicle from hoist.
  2. Fill transaxle with fluid.

1. Install transaxle strut-to-midrail bracket fastener.
    • Torque: 70 Nm (52 ft. lbs.)

2. Verify fluid level.

15yearsaturnguy, Saturn master tech
Experience: 25 years automotive experience, 15 years with Saturn