Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 20+ Years
28939717

2000 Saturn LS2: timing belt..marks..the crankshaft at tdc

Customer Question

The timing belt on my 2000 Saturn LS2 snapped and tore up the engine. I've fixed everything else, now the last thing i have to do is set the timing. there are 2 marks on each cam gear, and i cant figure out where to set the cams with the crankshaft at tdc i order to get the timing right. where do i set the cams?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Paul M ASE Master replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

I am attaching the full procedure for removing and replacing the timing belt

click here to view the procedure

let me know if you need more help

thanks

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for your reply, the problem is, that procedure has information regarding removing and replacing a timing belt that is on a car that is already in time. in my situation, the timing belt snapped, so the cams are already out of time. putting the belt on is no problem, its just the matter of getting the cams in the correct position. i have a master mechanic working with me and he also cannot figure it out. i need to know where the cams have to be set, assuming the belt is not on, and they are all out of time.

the camshaft and crankshaft alignment is shown in the procedure

you do not need a timing belt on the vehicle to align the marks

follow the procedure and you can align the crank and cams

you need to use the numbers on the cams to align the marks exhaust cam is #1 intake cam is #2

Paul

Edited by Paul M ASE Master Tech Saturn L1 on 7/30/2010 at 10:10 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
and then on the right side, intake is 3, exhaust is 4, correct? is it possible to put the timing belt on without using the saturn specific tools? were using vicegrips to hold the cams in place at the moment, and nothing to hold the crankshaft.. is it possible to do it without the tools?

That is correct it should be 1 , 2 , 3 , 4

the belt can be installed without the special tools but is just more difficult.

I have seen some tech reports saying the crank should be at TDC and not 60 Degrees I am not sure why there is conflicting information in mitchell

are you guys setting the crank to TDC or 60?

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
TDC, when you say set them at 1,2,3,4, you mean the corresponding marks, correct?

yes the camshaft gears should line up 1 2 3 4 the corosponding marks yes

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
alright, should it be set to TDC or 60 before? also, there is a plug which i cant find a mate to... are you at all familiar with the wiring? it looks exactly like the camshaft sensor plug, but is underneath the intake plenum, on the right side, coming off of the wires that go to the injectors. theres one that also looks the camshaft sensor that plugs into the water jacket peice, so thats not where it goes, but i cant find anywhere where it would plug in to.

align the crank to the 60 using the 2 marks shown in the procedure I attached

please tell me the wire colors that go to the connector you are looking at

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it has a weather shield, i havent seen the actual colors of the wires.. its a black plug with an orange rubber seal, it was ziptied to the fuel injectors cord. it hangs right in between the two heads, on the battery side. i wont be able to find out the colors till monday, once the shop reopens. it has slots for 2 prongs.

also, are there any indicators on the harmonic balancer to where 60 btdc is? or do i need to take that back off?

I won't be able to help you identify what it plugs into without the wire colors

I need to look at an engine performance schematic to identify what it plugs into

I am going to attach 3 diagrams for engine performance you will need to cut back the cover and get the wire colors so you can identify which sensor it plugs into

click here for page 1

click here for page 2

click here for page 3

remember to click accept so I get credit for my answer

we can continue to communicate on monday if you have any more questions

Paul

Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech 20+ Years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i appreciate your help. i will probably be in touch next week.

thanks again.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay, i figured out the problem. the cam gears were 180 degrees off. the car runs. its a little rough, sat in the yard for about 2 years. but it runs. the connector, the wires are green and blue. i didnt see it on the second 2 diagrams, the first one is expired. but, its 2 wires, green and blue. any idea?

checking into it now

Paul

I checked the entire engine performace schematic and there are no 2 wire sensors with green and blue wires

is the engine light on?

are all the gauges working?

it is not uncommon for the harness to have unused connectors depending on the options in the car

but I can tell you it is not for a computer control

are the wires solid green and blue? or is there other color striped on them?

does the connector look dusty? it is possible it was not being used

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the connector didnt really look dirty, the wires are coated though. and, its not connected to the wiring harness, directly anyways, its on the opposite side of the engine. the engine light is on, ill check that tomorrow. ill check for stripes too, i was kinda hasty, with gettin the car to run, and just glanced at it.

ok let me know what you have for a code and if you can find any striped on the wires or not

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my mistake. they were brown wires with a green stripe on one and a blue stripe on the other. the MIL code was for the transmission, but it doesnt seem to be having any problems when drive, and after clearing the codes and driving the car around, no codes reappeared. ill be making a bit longer drive here tonight, so we'll see how that goes. but, the wires are brown with green and blue stripes.

they are not part of the computerized engine controls.

as long as your charging system and AC and gauges are working I would not be very concerned about this connector

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay, thank you again for all your help.

no Problem

thank you for using Just Answer

Paul