Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

how to remove cv half shaft assembly on 2003 saturn ion

Category: Saturn
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Hello!

Here is the proceedure per alldata.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
3. Disconnect the stabilizer link.
4. Remove the wheel drive shaft nut. Insert a drift (1) or a flat-bladed tool into the caliper and the rotor to prevent the rotor from turning.
5. Carefully loosen the wheel drive shaft splines from the wheel bearing/hub assembly using a wood block and a hammer. The nut can be partially reinstalled to protect the threads.
6. Disconnect the outer tie rod assembly from the steering knuckle. Do NOT loosen the tie rod adjustment jamb nut. Important: Be sure that the wheel speed sensor wiring harness is repositioned away from the ball joint after disconnecting the electrical connector from the sensor.
7. Disconnect the electrical connector from the wheel speed sensor, if equipped, and reposition the wiring harness away from the ball joint.
8. Disconnect the ball joint from the steering knuckle.
9. Separate the wheel drive shaft from the wheel bearing/hub assembly, then support the shaft assembly.

graphic

10. Assemble the J 45341 and the SA9173G to the wheel drive shaft inner tripot housing assembly.
11. Using the J 45341 and the SA9173G, separate the wheel drive shaft from the transaxle, then remove the shaft assembly.
12. Inspect the transaxle output shaft seal for damage and/or contamination and replace if necessary.

Installation Procedure

graphic

1. Install the SA91112Tinto the transaxle output shaft seal.
2. Install the wheel drive shaft into the transaxle until the drive shaft splines are past the seal, remove the SA91112T, then fully install the drive shaft.
3. Verify that the wheel drive shaft is properly engaged:

o Grasp the inner tripod housing and pull the inner housing outward. Do NOT pull on the wheel drive axle shaft.
o The wheel drive shaft will remain firmly in place when properly engaged.
graphic

4. Install the wheel drive shaft (1) to the wheel bearing/hub assembly.
5. Connect the ball joint to the steering knuckle.
6. Connect the electrical connector to the wheel speed sensor, if equipped.
7. Connect the outer tie rod assembly to the steering knuckle. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
8. Install the wheel drive shaft nut (3) to the wheel drive shaft assembly (1).

o Tighten the nut to 110 Nm (81 ft. lbs.).

9. Connect the stabilizer shaft link.
10. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
11. Lower the vehicle.
12. Inspect the transaxle fluid level.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the inner tripod housing, is this the part that connect to the transmision ? If so, how do I get it out i have tried to pull it by hand but it is tight
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
DO you mean the support brakcet that the axle goes through?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I pulled the cv joint apart near the trans, i took it apart at the rubber boot. i can see the the universal,on the shaft. I am having trouble with the part the universal slides in to, it looks sort of like a cup and is attached to the trans some how. and i don't know how to get it off.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Does it look like one of these ones?

graphic
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
on the second diagram, it is part #1 that I want to remove, how do I get it out?
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
This just pops out using a big pry bar. ONe sharp jab in the right place and it will come out.
Amedee, Saturn Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok great, how does the bearing come out
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Which bearing?