Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Saturn Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Backstory; I have a 2006 saturn ion 4 door standard with about

<p>How do I troubleshoot a P2431 DTC code?</p><p>Backstory; I have a 2006 saturn ion 4 door standard with about 70,000 miles on it. About 3 months ago it had a DTC of PO411. I removed the secondary air valve, cleaned it, lubed it and put it back on the car. The trouble code went away. Yesterday the wife gets home and says here SES light is on. I took my actron CP9180 and checked the code. It reads P2431 secondary air inj system airflow/press...etc. I took a look at the electrical connections to the air valve and it looks fine (visually), disconnected the hose from the air filter box and verified the secondary air pump is operating correctly during a cold start (I can hear it running when I put my ear up to it). I have no urge to bring it to the dealer nearby as they have tried to swindle me in the past. So, where is this pressure sensor located, and if availible, what is the pinout so I can check continuity? What other shadetree trouble shooting suggestions are there as well?</p>
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Does your scan tool display engine data as well as codes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I can look at it in real time or freeze it.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Basically the ecm is looking for a pressure differential between the AIR pressure sensor and the BARO sensor of about 8-10 kPa with the air pump running. The pressures should be nearly equal with the key on, engine not running.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, engine off the reader says 98 kpa (about right) for the baro sensor but there is no tag that says 'air sensor'.

There is a tag that says Sec. air and that reads atomspheric.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Atmospheric means the sensor agrees with the BARO sensor. Next will be to test with the engine running and air pump running. Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I ran the secondary air monitor test and here are the results. To me it looks like only test $E2 failed, by about 3 psi. What the heck is test $E2?

Test $E1

Module $00

Max: $20.5KPA

Meas: $33.024KPA

Min: $37.096KPA

Test $E2

Module $00

Max: $65.404KPA

Meas: $35.348KPA

Min: 57.834KPA

Test $E3

Module $00

Max: 50.185KPA

Meas: 8.192KPA

Min: 0.131KPA

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.

If you have no driveability symptoms along with this code, the most likely problem is a software glitch in the ecm programming. There is a technical service bulletin about this concern, basically the fix is to have the dealer reprogram the ecm.

Bulletin No.: 05-06-04-073

Date: December 07, 2005

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Check Engine Light (MIL) Illuminated, Usually without Driveability Symptoms, DTCs P0128, P0604, P0326, P0420, P0717, P2431 Set on L61 Engine (Follow SI, and If Necessary, Reprogram Engine Control Module (ECM) with New Service Calibration)

Models:
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR
2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)
2006 Saturn ION

with Ecotec 2.2L 4-Cylinder Engine (VIN D, F - RPO L61)

Built Prior to VIN Breakpoints shown.

Condition

Some customers may comment that the "Check Engine Light" malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is illuminated. Technicians may find the following DTCs may have set false failures. Typically, the vehicle will exhibit no driveability symptoms, only the MIL with one or more of the above mentioned DTCs.

The following are the DTC descriptors and the description of the false failure concern:

^DTC P0128 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) below thermostat regulating temperature - The DTC may set due to a calibrated time parameter or under extremely cold conditions.

^DTC P0604 ECM Random Access Memory (RAM) - The DTC may set under low voltage conditions.

^DTC P0326 Knock Sensor (KS) Performance - The KS signal indicates an engine knock is present and the ECM command spark retard at a given engine load and speed is more than the calibrated value.

Important: A new catalyst may fail this test within the first 200 miles of operation due to out-gassing of the internal matting. If this occurs, operate the vehicle at highway speeds for approximately 1 hour, then retest.

^DTC P0420 Catalyst System Low Efficiency - The ECM has determined the catalyst efficiency has degraded below a calibrated threshold. The ECM may prematurely diagnose a catalyst failure before the catalyst has been allowed to run hot enough for a sufficient amount of time to burn off manufacturing coatings inside the converter. These coatings adversely affect the catalyst efficiency and the 02 sensor performance.

^DTC P0717 Input Speed Sensor Circuit Low Voltage - The transmission turbine speed sensor may set due to a calibrated rpm and time parameter. This fault may set falsely, especially if the engine is stalled and the vehicle is moving, or if the key is cycled on-off-on while the vehicle is moving.

^DTC P2431 Secondary Air Injection System Pressure Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance - The control module determines that the difference between the AIR pressure sensor and the barometric pressure (BARO) sensor signals is greater than 10 kPa when the AIR pump is commanded OFF or the control module determines that the difference between the AIR pressure sensor and the BARO sensor signals is greater than 50 kPa when the AIR pump is commanded ON. The DTC may set due to the ignition key ON and the engine OFF but the engine is still turning.

Cause

Engineering has identified a concern with the ECM software.

Correction

Important: The vehicle may or may not exhibit any driveability symptoms. If there are any driveability symptoms along with any DTCs mentioned in this bulletin, DO NOT reprogram the ECM. Follow Service Information (SI) first.

Reprogram the ECM with the latest calibrations if the above concerns are encountered. An updated ECM calibration is now available to address this concern. This calibration, or any that follow, is designed to address this concern

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'd like to exaust the troubleshooting I can do here at home before I bring it to the dealer. I'm not keen on the dealer near me and I said as much in my orignial post.

I have no urge to bring it to the dealer nearby as they have tried to swindle me in the past.

Also since I've had secondary air problems in the past and there is a discrepancy in test E2 I really doubt it's an ECM glitch, though I won't rule it out. To me it looks like the darn thing is reading too much vacuum over what it' is expecting to see.

But, I think we're getting off base a bit. My original post asks;

1. How can I troubleshoot it? (I thought we were working on that pretty well.)

2. Where is the sensor? (By this I meant the Secondary Air Injection System Pressure Sensor)

3. What is the pinout so I can check continuity?

4. What other shadetree trouble shooting suggestions are there?

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the dealer suggestion. This is just a common problem.

The sensor is located within the air solenoid valve. Here is the schematic.

graphic

Here is the connector diagram for the solenoid valve.

graphic

Here is the connector diagram for the PCM connector C2

graphic

graphic

Dave Nova, Saturn Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Dave that's part of what I'm looking for. Any other suggestions?