Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

Where can I check or put transmission oil in my saturn L200

Where can I check or put transmission oil in my saturn L200 -01?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

yours doesnt have a dipstick. It has to be checked from a fill plug on transmission from underneath the car:

Caution: Ensure that the vehicle is properly supported and squarely positioned. To help avoid personal injury when a vehicle is on a hoist, provide additional support for the vehicle on the opposite end from which the components are being removed.

• Raise the vehicle. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running.

Caution: The transmission fluid is hot. Caution must be taken to prevent personal injury when the transmission fluid drains from the transmission.

• Remove the transaxle level plug with the engine running.
  • Check the fluid level. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the threaded plug hole.
  • Check the condition of the transaxle fluid. Refer to Check Fluid Check in this service manual.

Notice: Saturn automatic transaxle fluid (ATF), P/N 21005966 and P/N 21019223, is not compatible with this transaxle. If Saturn ATF is used, transaxle damage will result.

• If the fluid level is low, add DEXRON® III automatic transaxle fluid in increments of 0/47 liters (0.5 quarts) until the fluid drains from the plug hole. If more than 1.5 liters (1.6 quarts) of fluid needs to be added to the transaxle, the transaxle may have a leak. Refer to Fluid Leak Diagnosis and Repair.

Important: Before installing the transaxle level plug, apply LOCTITE Threadlocker 242®.

• Allow the fluid to finish draining from the plug hole. Install the plug and wipe any excess fluid from the transaxle with a rag or shop towel.

Tighten
    Tighten the transaxle fluid level plug to 12 N·m (9 lb ft).

• graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    I don't get it, the threaded plug hole where doest it attach to? Is it attach to the radiator?
    Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

The threaded plug is in the side of the transmission underneath the car. with vehicle on level ground and idling in park, you have to crawl underneath it and remove the plug. If transmission fluid comes out, then level is good. If none comes out, you have to add fluid thru that opening using a tube to fill the transmission fluid.

It is a pain to do this at home, but it is the ONLY way to check the fluid level yourself. otherwise you will have to take it to a shop and have them put it on a lift in the air so it can be checked.

Edited by eric on 6/9/2010 at 6:42 PM EST
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    if the threaded plug is underneath the car, how can I put fluid in there when I am under the car?
    Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

As I said, it is a pain. you will want a helper to add fluid. Get 4ft length of 3/8" tubing put one end in the opening and have helper hold other end at hood level and he will add fluid thru that opening. It will go down the tube and into the transmission. When it starts running back out opening, pull tube out and reinstall threaded fill plug.

shops have a machine to pump it in. Unfortunately, more and more parts of the cars are being made where it is near impossible for the DIYer to take care of at home.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.