John, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE technician,Master GM technician,40 years experience

2002 saturn: the clutch master cylinder..bleed..screw..slave cylinder

Customer Question

i have a 2002 saturn sl. I just changed out the clutch master cylinder, how do I bleed it? I don't see any screw on slave cylinder
Category: Saturn
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

If there are no bleeders you will need to loosen the connection at the hydraulic line closest to the cylinder to bleed it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If you are a Saturn specialist, could you be more specific
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Clutch Master Cylinder and Actuator Replacement

Object Number: 898384  Size: SH

Important: The clutch master and actuator cylinder assembly is to be serviced as a complete unit. It is a sealed unit and has been filled with fluid and bled of air at the factory. Individual components of the system are not available for service, except the slave cylinder actuator pushrod plastic retainer strap

1. Block clutch pedal up to prevent pedal from being depressed with slave cylinder removed from transaxle.
    Object Number: 865479  Size: SH

2. Remove the air cleaner and duct assembly. Object Number: 863525  Size: SH

3. Disconnect the negative battery cable from battery.
  4. Disconnect the positive battery cable from battery.
  5. Remove the hold-down retaining nut and screws, and lift off battery hold-down retainer.
  6. Lift the battery out of the vehicle, and place it in a safe location.
    Object Number: 863527  Size: SH

Important: The PCM J. (black 80-way) harness connector does not need to be disconnected.

7. Disconnect the PCM J2 (black 28-way harness connector by moving the locking device outward toward the fender
  8. Remove the PCM Attachment bolts and move the PCM out of the way.
  9. Remove the battery tray and bolts.

One bolt is located in the fender well

Object Number: 890038  Size: SH

Important: Prior to removing the slave cylinder from the clutch hosing, make sure that the clutch hydraulic system has sufficient fluid. (This is not necessary if the clutch hydraulic system is being removed to be replaced.)

10. Rotate the actuator 1/4 turn counterclockwise while pushing toward housing in order to disengage the bayonet connector and remove from clutch housing.
  11. Remove the two hydraulic damper to clutch housing nuts and slide damper and bracket assembly off studs.
    Object Number: 872115  Size: SH

Important: Brake master cylinder does not need to be moved to gain access to clutch master cylinder assembly.

12. Remove the ABS control assembly. Object Number: 898387  Size: SH

13. Remove the clutch master cylinder pushrod retainer clip from clutch pedal pin and disconnect pushrod from pedal.
  14. Turn the clutch master cylinder approximately 1/8 turn clockwise and remove from the dash.
  15. Remove the clutch master and actuator assembly from the vehicle.

Object Number: 898388  Size: SH

Important: When installing a new unit, leave the clutch slave cylinder pushrod retainer in place when installing the unit. This will ensure the actuator rod is seated in the clutch release fork pocket as the actuator is installed.

Important: When installing an existing unit, a new clutch slave cylinder pushrod retainer should be installed on the end of the pushrod and the straps should be attached to the actuator.

1. Install the clutch master cylinder into dash with reservoir leaning outboard. Turn approximately 1/8 turn counterclockwise to lock in position.
  2. On ABS equipped vehicles, place the brake master cylinder back on the booster studs and tighten brake master cylinder-to-booster nuts.

Tighten
    Tighten the brake master cylinder-to-brake booster nuts to 27 N·m (20 lb ft).

Object Number: 890038  Size: SH

3. Slide the damper and bracket onto clutch housing damper studs and install the nuts.

Tighten
    Tighten the clutch hydraulic damper bracket-to-case studs to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

4. Install actuator into clutch housing with hydraulic line facing down and rotate actuator 1/4 turn clockwise while pushing toward housing.
  5. Add dielectric (silicone) grease to clutch pedal pin then connect pushrod and install pushrod retainer clip to clutch pedal pin.
    Object Number: 872115  Size: SH

Important: ABS system must be bled.

6. Install ABS control assembly. Refer to the "ABS Control Assembly Installation" procedure in Brakes.
    Object Number: 863527  Size: SH

7. Install the battery tray and bolts.

One bolt in fender well at location (1).

Tighten
    Tighten the battery tray-to-frame rail bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in)

8. Install the PCM and PCM attachment bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the PCM-to-battery tray bolts to 6 N·m (53 lb in)

9. Reconnect the PCM J2 (black 28 way) harness connector and secure locking device.
    Object Number: 863525  Size: SH

10. Make sure the battery tray is clean.
  11. Make sure that the battery cable ends are clean and free of corrosion. (Clean with a wire brush.)
  12. Make sure that the battery is in food physical condition (e.g., no cracks, or obvious damage) and that the terminals are clean.
  13. Install the battery carefully in the battery tray; make sure that the terminals do not short against any metal during the installation.
  14. Install the battery hold-down retainer (3), locking the battery into the tray. Install and tighten the hold-down retainer (1) nut and screws (2).

Tighten
    Tighten the battery hold down-to-battery tray fasteners to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

Important: Attach the positive then negative terminal.

15. Install the positive battery cable first.

Tighten
    Tighten the battery terminal bolts to 17N·m (13 lb ft).

Important: Attach positive then negative terminal.

16. Install the negative battery cable last.

Tighten
    Tighten the battery terminals bolts to 17 N·m (13 lb ft)

Object Number: 865479  Size: SH

17. Install the air cleaner and duct assembly.

Tighten

John, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Master ASE technician,Master GM technician,40 years experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

You are very welcome.