AutoDoc, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Tech with Advanced Level (L1) - 20 Years Exp. with multiple makes of vehicle

2008 Saturn: Astra..the key remote wont work

I had to replace the battery in my key for my 2008 Saturn Astra. Now the key remote won't work. How do I resync the key?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  AutoDoc replied 6 years ago.

Although the key should re-sync after you turn it to the run position, it does not seem to be working - as long as the key fob did not take damage during the battery removal, try holding the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons at the same time for a few seconds until the door locks cycle (all doors closed) - This should reset the RKE module - Thanks, Dave.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I held down the lock/unlock buttons and the doors lock but not unlock. When I unlock with the key in the door handle the panic alarm goes off. Any more suggestions?
Expert:  AutoDoc replied 6 years ago.
Does your other key function properly?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes my other key works fine, but it has been used less and hasn't needed a battery change. The one that isn't working is very dented in on the unlock button. Could that be the problem with it?
Expert:  AutoDoc replied 6 years ago.
If your other key does work properly, then the failure is isolated to the key fob itself - the dented surface could be causing continuity at the contacts and will not allow functionality - It may be able to be taken apart and repaired on the inside - if not, a new key will have to be purchased and reprogrammed - Thanks, Dave