George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years

I have a 99 Saturn SL1. 1.9 sohc.

I have a 99 Saturn SL1. 1.9 sohc. Auto. A/c. I got a coolant temp sensor code. so I go to replace it and it's not at the end of the block by the hose. So, i looked around and foud the cable coming from the area around the drivers side headlight. But I cant find the sensor. The cord is only about 8 inches long. It has to be right there but I cant see it. Where is the sensor.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

I'm not sure what harness you have by the headlight but here is a copy of the TSB that outlines the sensor replacement near the EGR valve. Look it over and let me know if you have further questions about this

Thanks

Click here

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I saw a connector near the headlight next to the radiator that had come loose. i jumpered it and the temp guage went to hot. thought it was the correct line. but i cant see a sensor or where it goes. i am confused.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

graphicThere are two sensors, one for the computer that gave you the code and one for the gauge which is the one you found

This is the harness you found at the right of the radiator in this diagram?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the one I found is on the drivers side. yours looks like the passenger side.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Here is a diagram of the sensors, the gauge is fed information from the PCM so I'm not sure what harness you have and why jumping it would affect the gauges but the code is generated from the sensor/harness of the sensor that I posted the TSB for

COOLANT TEMPERATURE GAGE
The coolant temperature gage is controlled by the powertrain control module (PCM) using a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal based on the signal received from the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT ) sensor. The duty cycle of the PWM signal is directly related to the reading of the coolant temperature gage. As the duty cycle increases the temperature reading displayed by the gage will increase. The PWM signal to the cluster is passed through an RC filter and sent to the coolant temperature gage. The PCM monitors circuit 135 for an open, short to ground or short to voltage and will set DTC P1691 if certain parameters are met.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Like I said, I'm confused. The guage worked then I didn't work. I got a code for CTS. So I went to get a sensor. I thought it would be an easy repair. I have changed a few of these. usually near where coolant hose connects. This one doesnt have one there. So I went hunting around the cooing system. Didn't find anything-except the dangling connector. I will look again when I have some daylight. I will let you know.

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

OK I am curious as to what you found so let me know the wire colors and how many pins are in the connector and if it is female or male.

If the harness is part of the one that connects to the fan motor this is the coolant level harness that does run to the other side of the vehicle and plugs into the bottom of the surge tank

I will watch for your post later on today

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks bro. I really appreciate you. I'll let you know.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

OK I will be here later on today

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I still don't know what that connector was for. You told me to see the wire colors and how many pins. it is a two pin connector, black and tan wires, female. It looks a lot like a coolant temp sensor connector. I think it is a fan connector maybe. The fan doesn't seem to be cutting on.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

There is only one sensor for the coolant temp and that is why you have the code and the fan does not come on. That is the sensor in the first TSB that I posted and it is located below the EGR valve in the end of the head. The wiring there is yellow and black.

Here is the fan circuit, does the fan come on when you turn the AC on or does the AC come on?

graphic

I'm not finding black and tan anywhere so I would change the temp sensor, inspect the connector for green corrosion and fill the cooling system and clear the codes then see if the fan operats correctly. If it will not come on with the AC you will need a testlight to check for power to the fan motor. If you do have power to the motor the fan motor has failed.

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I changed the sensor. Filled coolant up. Removed red batt cable for 10 min. to clear codes. I let it run for a while temp was at 1/3 or so. But the fan never came on. Test lighted everything . Didn't seem to power at relay. didn't find any bad fuses.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Does the fan come on with the AC?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i turn the ac on and fan didnt come on.

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

OK then start at the beginning with the 30 amp cooling fuse in the underhood junction block.

Do you have power to this fuse?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes there is power at 30 amp fuse.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Pull the cooling relay out, there should be power at two of the pin sockets, Is there?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ill check
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

If you have power to the relay use a large paperclip to jump from pin #87 to pin#30 in the fuse block, check the side of the relay to find these pins.

Use gloves, if the fan is shorted the paperclip will get very hot very fast.

Let me know if the fan runs. If nothing happens check the light blue wire at the fan for power with the paperclip installed. If there is power then check to the black wire to the light blue and if the light comes on replace the fan.

Let me know what you find

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
power at 2 holes/one side of relay w key on
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Ok then go anead and check to see if you can turn the fan on by jumping the #87 to the #30 if you are not sure which is which do not guess

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can pull the fan out and put power to it. Or you can guide me to 87 and 30. lemme know bro.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

I need you to look on the side and bottom of the relay and you will see the pins marked. Watch how the relay fits in the fuse block and see where the #30 and #87 pins go. One should have power and the other will go to the fan. Connect these together and see if the fan runs. If it does not use your testlight to check for power at the fan connector.

If the fan runs install one of the other relays that is identical and try turning the AC on, if the fan now works replace the relay.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

gotcha. its dark lemme find a flashlight n check that out. That will tell if it is the relay or the fan. cool deal.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok bro. Jumpered 30 n 87. Fan came on. swapped relays, turned ac on and no fan. Could both relays be out? Fan works.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

The last thing you will need to do is to jump the connector of the coolant temp sensor with a paperclip. Turn the key on and see if the fan comes on. If the fan does not come on ground the dark green wire at J1C01 of the engine control computer if the fan still coms on from there the PCM has failed and needs to be replaced.

Let me know if the fan comes on with the sensor jumped and I will post the diagram for the PCM connector and the location if the fan does not come on

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
jumped the coolant temp sensor connector, turned the key on, no fan.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Check the PCM connector using a jumper wire to ground from the J1 connector shown below and the C1 pin cavity. There should be a dark green wire in the cavity (leave connected and use a paperclip ti slide along the wire to make contact.) that you will connect to ground with the key on. If the fan comes on with the jumper then the PCM is not capable of turning the fan on and needs to be replaced.

graphic

The PCM is a pain to get to on your car, it is under the top cover on the dash. Pry the spring clips of the cover very carefully as they tend to break and then the cover rattles.

http://rapidshare.com/files/386512922/pcm.pdf.html

Get the file at the link above the link tool in the JA site is not working at this time

Sorry this is dragging on so long but you are in expensive territory and I want to be very sure before I tell you to have the PCM replaced. You will need a scantool if the PCM has to be replaced to set the crank offset learn or there will be a check engine light on.

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ Years