hauto, Saturn Technician
Experience:  worked on saturns for 7 years, in a saturn dealership. saturn factory trained and ceritfied.

2002 Saturn: L200..sedan..2.2L..the a/c compressor is not working

I have 2002 Saturn L200 sedan 2.2L, the a/c compressor is not working and need to be replaced. What other parts are needed in order to replace the compressor?

I spoke with local repair shop, they told me that I need (1) dryer (2) expansion valve and (3) filter, and give me a total repair price of over $1400. What's the most economic way to repair the a/c?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  hauto replied 6 years ago.
the a/c compressor gets replaced because it's seized, leaking. If the a/c system was diagnosed with a faulty a/c compressor why does the repair shop wants to replace all the other parts. it sounds like they want to replace everything because they don't know whats faulty. you should get a second opinion. only replace what's faulty.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I went thru two repair shop, they told me the compressor is dead, and I also went to Autozone, and they told me that except to replace the compressor, I need the dryer also, is this ture?

One of the repair shop told me that, they will perform evacuate the system in order for better a/c function, is this necessary?

Thanks for you time.

Expert:  hauto replied 6 years ago.

If the compressor is faulty sure, replace it. but why the dryer.

after they replace the compressor they have to vacuum the system and see if it holds vacuum to check for leaks,.