Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Saturn Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Saturn: cylinder #1 misfire detected code..keeps coming..i took my car

Customer Question

I have a Saturn 2001 SL1, my car has a cylinder #1 misfire detected code that keeps coming up. But i took my car into a dealer they check the plugs the wires an compression check on it and its all good. Iam not sure what the promblem is, can there be somthing eles that can be checked to fix this promblem?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
If the compression is good and the plugs and wires are good, the fuel injector for that cylinder can be faulty.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
they check the fuel injectors to. The only that thing that leaves is leaks like vacum leakes is that posibble?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
Vacuum leaks are not very common on the 4 cylinder engine. Does the misfire occur all the time or mainly under load such as when accelerating?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well the missfire doesnt even seem to be there for the most part what i have notice wrong with car witch has another code that shows up evertime along with that is P0507 IAC system rpm higher then expected when it is idleing it seems to not stay at right rpm an my temeature goes up until the fans kick on, iam not sure what it has to do with it but it only happens when iam in park or just stoped
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
With both problems happening in conjunction with one another, the problem could be a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak would cause an elevated idle speed and could cause the engine to run lean enough to misfire.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so how can u check for such a leak, an also what areas should be checked?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
A good way to check for vacuum leaks is to run the engine and spray carburetor cleaner spray around the intake and throttle body. When you come across the area of the vacuum leak, the idle will change.