Lee, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  31 years experience ASE Master Technician

99 saturn: EGR..It failed inspection, they..disconnected..failures

Can anyone tell me the general cost to reflash the computer of a '99 Saturn SL2? I had to replace the battery and EGR valuve before inspection. It failed inspection, they said, because the battery was disconnected and it produced 4 failures because they are "not ready". After a number of attempts to drive 80 miles, a number of drive cycles resulting in another 200 miles over the course of 5 days, the inspection center still see's these failures. They suggest getting the computer reflashed. Sound right?

Ron in Texas

Hi! Ron

Welcome to Just answers

Did you go through the drive cycle step by step? If you did not preform the drive cycle like it should be done. Then go through it step by step. Do not be quick to reflash the ECM. The cost to reflash in my area is $125.00. You should be able to get it done for about $100.00 to $175.00 depending on where you live.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks Lee! I appreciate the response.I don't have a specific step by step guide. I mentioned the drive cycles in my inital question because I remember hearing somewhere that a cycle would be something like driving 40 miles and turning off the engine for 15 minutes, then repeat a couple of times. In essence, that's what I did. Does that sound even close? Do you have a suggestion as to where I would find step by step instructions?

try this:

Let car cool down for 8 hours.

turn all acc. off. start and let idle for 5 min in park.

drive at 45 for 2 min. (do not drop under)

drive at 55 for 5 min. (do not drop under)

let off the gas and let the car coast from 55 down to 40 on it's own. (NO BRAKE)

slowly accel back up to 55. Do this 4 times.

come to a stop and let idle in drive for 2 min. (all acc off. including heater)

See if this will work for you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

That is great information Lee. Wow, (lol) I wasn't even close!Embarassed I had no idea it was that involved.

Ok, I'll give that a try. I can't express how much I appreciate your help and advice! I will be pleased to leave positive feedback for you!

Thank You! Have a good weekend.