George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

Saturn: SL..timing chain didnt mark anything how do i install

Customer Question

have 1.9 saturn sohc SL took off timing chain didnt mark anything how do i install correctly so i dont damage anything and will start fineanything illustrated step by stepp would be appreciated
Category: Saturn
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Here are the installation instructions, let me know if you have further questions about this

Thanks

graphic

1. Assemble the timing chain, sprockets, guides and tensioner:
    1. Verify that the crankshaft is positioned 90 degrees clockwise past TDC (viewed from accessory drive belt end of crankshaft). The crankshaft key way sprocket timing mark must be aligned with the cylinder block main bearing cap split line to prevent piston and valve damage.

1. If required, bring the camshaft up to number one TDC. The camshaft can be verified at TDC by loosely installing the sprocket and rotating the sprocket until the timing pin (3/16 in. drill) can be installed. The dowel pin in the camshaft will be located at the 12 o'clock position. Wrench flats 21 mm (7/8 in.) are installed on the camshaft to assist with rotating the cam slightly or by installing the sprocket and bolt. Only turn the camshaft clockwise to prevent intake and exhaust valve damage. The camshaft sprocket and bolt will have to be installed if the camshaft must be rotated more than a few degrees.

1. Rotate the crankshaft 90 degree counterclockwise (viewed from accessory drive belt end of crankshaft) up to number one TDC. The crankshaft sprocket timing mark will align with cylinder block timing mark. NOTICE: One silver link plate aligns with the pip mark on the camshaft sprocket and the other aligns with the crankshaft sprocket tooth that is pointed directly downward at the 6 o'clock position. The pip mark on the crankshaft sprocket must be aligned with the timing mark on the cylinder block. NOTICE: Excess slack in the chain must be kept to the tensioner side of the cylinder block.

1. Place the timing chain over the camshaft sprocket, and under the crankshaft sprocket Slide the camshaft sprocket onto the camshaft. The letters FRT on the camshaft sprocket must face forward away from the cylinder head.

1. Install the camshaft sprocket timing pin (3/16 in. drill). NOTICE: Do not torque the camshaft retaining bolts against the 3/16 in. timing pins as it will damage the cylinder head.

1. Install the camshaft washer and bolt. Wrench flats 22 mm (7/8 in.) are located on the cam to hold it
    • Torque: 102 Nm (75 ft. lbs.)

1. Install the fixed chain guide and check for clearance between the guide to cylinder block and head. The guide must be installed with the word FRONT facing forward away from the cylinder block.
    • Torque: 26 Nm (19 ft. lbs.)

IMPORTANT: The timing chain should be snug against the fixed guide.

1. Install the pivoting chain guide. Check for clearance between the block and head. Torque the bolt and make sure the guide pivots freely.
    • Torque: 26 Nm (19 ft. lbs.)

1. Retract the tensioner plunger and pin the ratchet lever using a 3.18 mm (1/8 in. No. 31) drill. install the chain tensioner and torque the two bolts. Remove the drill and allow the tensioner Changer to extend.
    • Torque: 19 Nm (168 in. lbs.)
    1. Verify all timing marks for accuracy. Remove the camshaft timing pins (4.77 mm [3/16 in.] drill).

1. Camshaft timing verification procedure with engine assembled (front cover on):
    1. Remove the rocker cover.
    2. Turn the crankshaft until the mark on the crankshaft pulley aligns with the pip mark on the front cover.
    3. The letters FRT on the camshaft sprocket should align with the upper gasket surface of the front cover and only the pip mark on the cam sprocket should be at the 12 o'clock position. If the letters and pip mark don't align, rotate the crankshaft an additional 360 degrees. If the letters FRT and pip mark do not align, the crankshaft and camshaft are not timed. IMPORTANT: The camshaft sprocket timing pin hole is located below the front cover upper gasket surface and cannot be used as a reference. It may be necessary to remove the right-hand road wheel and splash shield to observe timing marks on front cover and crankshaft pulley.